US Capitol Tripod Permit

gary_jean1

There have been some inquiries about photography in Washington DC.

Most of the restrictions fall into two categories: use of tripods and

sensitive locations.

If you plan to use a tripod anywhere on Capitol Hill, you need a permit.

Here's the link to the application:

http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/special_events/uscplib_297482_v1_cp_40_guidelines

_page.pdf The US Capitol Police are everywhere on the hill and they will

pounce on you instantly even if you stand the tripod without a camera on it.

If you plan to use a tripod anywhere on National Park gounds (e.g., the Mall),

you theoretically need a permit. However, I have never been questioned,

perhaps because there are far fewer Park Police than Capitol Police. Or maybe

I don't look professional enough, even with my white lenses.

All non-tripod camera use is generally okay, but rules may vary from day to day

and the mood of the security people. I was stopped a few days ago inside Union

Station, which is private property anyway. If you shoot anything related to

transportation, expect to be questioned.

I hope this is of some use to visitors to our nation's capital.

It may have changed since I last looked and there was some construction underway, but if you check either the Senate or maybe the House of Representatives sites, they have details on tour arrrangements. I seem to recall that tripods aren't allowed but anything like this shold be checked for currency anyways.

• 3 years later...

<p>I was in DC in August 2009, and I tried to take some night shots of the capitol with a tripod without realizing that tripods were not allowed without a permit. One of the alert security personnel approached me right away and explained to me in a very professional and courteous manner that I needed a permit to use a tripod. Since I was leaving DC the next day, I did not have the chance to get one (the permit issuing office is not open in the evening). But he mentioned that it was quite routine to get a permit and it takes only about 15 minutes to go through the process - a verbal interview may be involved.<br>

I did ask him if I could use the tripod in the mall area, and I was told that it should be OK since the Mall is managed by the Park Service which does not impose these restrictions. Subsequently, I did take some night shots in the Mall area using my tripod and there was no issue at all. But, I am sure things can change if there is any unusual national security issue on any particular day.</p>

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

<p>I do a lot of photography and video around the Capitol. Here is the deal. The Capitol Police are very friendly, so be nice to them because they can radio around the Capitol quickly if you are a jerk to them.<br>

If you want to do photography or video on the Capitol grounds with a tripod, you have to get a permit from the Capitol Police Detail Office. It is on the House side (south end) down in the basement. You get there through the visitors center. Ask for directions to the Detail Office. I do not know whether you can get it when the visitors center is closed to the public, so if you're doing photography at night, go earlier in the day or the day before. They issue them for 24 hr. period. The permit will allow you to set up a tripod ONLY on the West front (that faces the Mall) grassy areas. You will have to sign a paper stating it is for personal use only. I am not certain about the grassy areas at the ends facing the Senate or House sections of the building. I have gotten away with it at times although it is the purview of the House or Senate Seargent-at-Arms. <br>

You cannot set up a tripod on the East front of the Capitol (the front side, that doesn't face the Mall). But, you can set the camera on the ground or on your camera bag or a bean bag or something small and inconspicuous. This I have done many times. It is the only way. I have set up on the knee wall next to the plaza. They are not going to allow you to set up in the middle of a walkway. I also have a gorilla pod, which is very useful but it's not technically allowed. It is useful if you either don't have time to get a permit or you're in an unapproved area and no one notices. <br>

Another area you may want to set up a tripod is around the Capitol reflecting pool (between the West front and the Mall). There are fewer police around this area, so often times you can get away with setting it up.<br>

So, some pointers: The East front is best in the morning because, well, it faces East toward the sunrise. It's good until around 11:00, but the early morning light is best as it gives an aged tone to the facade. The West front is good from early afternoon through sunset and evening. Sunset is nice as it changes to a yellow tone briefly and then as it gets dark, they turn on the lights on the facade and the dome. The dome is brighter lit than the facade. When Congress is in session, the light at the top of the dome is lit and there are more lights on in the Senate and House sides. The East front is decent at night, but the facade is not lit as strong as the dome. Other areas that are nice to photograph are the WWII memorial during the season when the fountains are running. Also, the Lincoln Memorial where you can set up a tripod anywhere except the upper sections of steps. The Lincoln faces East toward the Mall so early morning is the best daytime opportunity. Also the Lincoln at night from the Memorial Bridge is a popular location.</p>

<div>00YLly-337873584.jpg.5e00d4551a14e1854ad814d2847192a2.jpg</div>

<p>To clarify from some of the questions above. The link provided in the first post (Gary Jean) is for an event permit. That is not very practical since it requires 5 business days, although if you go that route, you can get a permit for a longer period. Even though you are not having an "event", it's just another way to get a tripod permit. It could be useful in certain instances if you have the lead time. Also, it does cover the entire Mall area, so to speak, but each monument and memorial and museum is going to have a different idea of what they allow.<br>

For the interior of the Capitol, take the tour. You can use a monopod which I have done a number of times. Your guide will get annoyed if you stray from the group very much, so be stealthy, but diligent. On a typical tour, you will see the Rotunda, the Old Senate Chamber, the Hall of Statues. If you want to attend a session on the House or Senate side, you will have to visit the appropriate office building near the Capitol to get the ticket. You can't take any camera or phone in with you. They have drop boxes. It takes time and can be popular when they are in session.</p><div>00YLmH-337877584.jpg.0f7c0139904f0275f1273b0d2f1ca819.jpg</div>

<p>When you're done with the Capitol tour, or are waiting until the afternoon to start photographing the West facade, visit the Library of Congress. It is the most beautiful interior in the city. You can get to it using the tunnel at the Visitors Center, or walking East as it is directly across from the Capitol.</p><div>00YLmM-337879584.jpg.20255d6371b5ac84e847c1d26ad81ff2.jpg</div>

<p>David, Very useful information on where and when to set up, especially for those who might have only a day or two available.</p>

<p>But like Mark Burrows, I'd like to know the rationale for requiring a permit, as well as the legal basis. The U.S. Capitol Grounds are under different jurisdictions (The U.S. Capitol Police for the former, the U.S. Park Police or NPS rangers for the latter), so the answers may be different for each.</p>

<p>I'm reasonably familiar with the laws governing photography on lands under the jurisdiction of the NPS, but have yet to get a reasonable explanation of similar laws (if indeed they exist) for the Capitol Grounds.</p>

<p>Actually the police agencies aren't the source of the jurisdiction. The "properties" are owned by different portions of the government. Those agencies have their own processes and procedures for exercising stewardship of the public trust, the "police" departments work for them. The rationale and the legal basis stem from the same root sources. A person has rights, described in the 1st amendment when it comes to expression, etc. The facilities are open to the public and no particular group or individual typically is allowed to interfere with other individual's rights in those places. The capitol grounds, in particular, would be an appropriate place for any person to exercise their 1st Amendment rights. But person A, if doing so in some ways, impacts the ability of person B to do so. For example, a tripod stakes out a bit of ground that excludes others. Since the agencies need to ensure that all individuals are afforded reasonable access and expression (and they also need to protect the physical property and provide for the safety and security of the sites and the people), they need to establish some sort of suitable process for doing so.</p>

<p>Having been in the Capitol a couple of times at different times of the year, some times it's apparently uncrowded and fairly easy to move about in. The most recent time was during the "spring break" and cherry blossom time frame and DC is a popular tour destination for vacationers and school groups from all over the country. The wait time for tours, was hours, even tours with our Congressional representatives office staff were subject to serious delays (we "snuck" around to the Senate side where apparently far fewer people had arranged tours and got in much more quickly). It was SRO inside. There would have been no way to use a tripod. I'd expect a week or two earlier or later, the situation would have been far less crowded.</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>You know, it's just not very restrictive in using tripods around the Mall. The Capitol is the one place that you have to get a permit for. Easy enough to just go to the Capitol Police Detail office on the House side (down in the basement) and get one. It takes 5 minutes. If there are lines to get in the Visitors Center, go across the street into the Library of Congress and take the tunnel back to the Capitol V.C. They require a permit so people know the rules and because lots of folks would be setting up on walkways and such where tour groups are coming through. They don't allow them on the East front for some reason, not even grassy areas. The beanbag or GorillaPod is an option. As far as the rest of the Mall, don't set up on sidewalks in front of museums or monuments where there is obvious pedestrian traffic. And be respectful of the location, particularly around the war memorials. The Lincoln Memorial allows you to set up a tripod anywhere on the plaza up to the first platform, but not up to the steps connected to the structure. For the White House, I thought it was more restrictive, but after talking with officers there, they indicated you could set up a tripod in most places except on the sidewalks. I have also taken video in Union Station, but a tripod would attract attention, so I find a place to put my beanbag or Joby GorillaPod and just let it roll while looking inconspicuously at the floor.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'd like to know the rationale for requiring a permit, as well as the legal basis</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>You know, it's just not very restrictive in using tripods around the Mall. The Capitol is the one place that you have to get a permit for. Easy enough to just go to the Capitol Police Detail office on the House side (down in the basement) and get one. It takes 5 minutes</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It seems strange that you need to get a permit to do something if it is easy to get a permit (unless there is a charge for it). If all you have to do is go and get one then in reality, it is not required. It's just superfluous paperwork.</p>