Canon 20D 2x2 Mosaic Stitch vs. Mamiya 7 Scan

1. I read the text of the web page several times and I'm still not exactly clear what the images purport to show or what you are postulating. If your point is that a high-resolution digital sensor of a given size can resolve more detail than a scanned section of film of the same size, I would agree with you.

2. An issue I have with your metheodology is that you've used a 2,000 d.p.i. scan from a so-so, consumer-grade scanner to represent medium format film capability. I still shoot Mamiya 7IIs and scan film because, scanning at 4,000 d.p.i. from a 6x7 cm film (Nikon LS 8000 scanner), I can get large-print resolution that is better than the Nikon D100s I own or the D200 and D2x I've tried.

Obviously, 35mm-SLR-style-DSLRs have other benefits and I shoot them at parties and for other purposes that don't involve making large prints. However, when resolution is key, I'd prefer to scan a 6x7 color negative and get a 450 Megabyte file than to shoot, for instance, a D2x and get a 50 Megabyte RAW file.

I'm surprised the Frontier scan looks as good as it does (comparable to 20D). A 4000ppi Nikon or Minolta scan blows Frontier away...I suspect the new Epsons would look better, as well.

Although I think I've done an explicit page; to make things clear, I've been looking for a digital camera near or equivalent to Mamiya 7 scan. Yes, now there happens to be; but the prices are unaffordable for me.

So I have the following options:

a)wait until such a camera is available,

b)buy whatever I can afford, in awareness that it will not fully meet my expectations,

c)a new horizon: mosaic stitching (poor man's hi-res digital)

I just wanted to share my findings, excitement and hesitations whether possible at challenging landscape conditions. I'm not into imposing anything.

Notes for the scanner: Frontier scanner is a part of an integrated lab, looks professional, and apart from the appearance I've found its image quality somewhere between good flatbeds and drum scanning. I pay ~$2 for each one at max. or if drum scanned the whole 6x7 frame, I would be paying ~$5 at 2000dpi, and $20 at 4000dpi. Never had the chance to test the dedicated Nikon 8000 LS, but 4990 wasn't as good as the Frontier in terms of true image detail, color accuracy and DR. Otherwise I'd have already bought it at a discount industry fair for about $500, as a solution for scanning costs.

<I>So far, I haven't seen a scan where all of the useful information wasn't exracted at 3,000 DPI (or below). At that point, it seems like it's just amplifying grain. </i><P>I've had enough drum scans made of my Mamiya 6x7 Provia scans to know where they stand. They'll easily thump a 20D, but the 6x7 is no match for the 2x2.<P>May I ask what software was used to stitch in this comparison?

McGuyver could rig up a better film scanner than a Frontier by raiding parts from Cracker Jack boxes. Who gives a crap - I'm already seeing grain in the Provia scan, and at that point I don't care. I do Panorama sweeps all the times with my 10D, and know exactly what it takes to whoop on 6x7 Provia scans. If you guys want to fart around with K-Y Jelly and mounted drum scans, grain reduction software, and all that jazz so your precious film doesn't fall off it's crucifex, be my guest. I'll take the 2x2 stitch because it looks a helluva lot better, the colors are better, and it takes fewer resources to get there. There's nothing new here.

I'm just curious about the software used for the stitch.

Just bought the Epson V700 this week-end. I scanned some of my old Mamiya 7 negatives (BW + color) at 2400 DPI (that's the reason why I bought this scanner :-). I made some A3+ prints and I must admit that there are far better than some prints I made from EOS-1D MK2 pictures (which is better or equivalent in terms of resolution with the EOS 20D). I scanned at 2400 DPI because this is good for this kind of scanner (flat bed) and is OK for me for my target print size (A3+). I suppose that I could even get more details with a film scanner but this is too expensive for me.

When compared with EOS5D prints, that's different but the 43mm Mamiya lens is no match for the Canon 17-40mm canon because you got full resolution and details even in the angles. IMHO. I still need an amazing wide angle for working with the EOS5D.