Hi Everyone

I live in London. The prices of the lenses are very unrealistic

here. I was wondering if anyone knows any differance of the quality

of the lenses here (UK imports) and when you buy from eBay (Hong

Kong imports). The prices are nearly double and I have no idea why

is that. Can you please tell me is it better to buy from official

importers or just eBAY.

Thank you all

The best way is to order direct from a reputable and inexpensive dealer such as B&H Photo in New York. You will need to pay the VAT when it arrives, but it will still work out a lot cheaper. I have the same issue here in Australia, and the only Canon item I have ever purchased locally was a sync terminal cover for my old EOS 3. I figured that 2 x $3 wasn't a big deal for that ;o)

Make sure you buy the item marked as "USA" - this will normally be about $20 - $50 dearer, but you get a full international warranty. Note, this only applies to lenses, not bodies.

Cheers,

Antony

Remember to add to the cost of those Hong Kong lenses; shipping; import duty; VAT on all the above (as well as the lens). Then what if it arrives damaged, you'll be paying to have it returned.

Once you've added all that up, how much have you saved, if it's still worth it to you, then go for it. There are also options of buying from the Channel Islands or Germany, where you'll not get stuffed by the above. Also Jessops will often price match (including certain items from outside UK, as long a syou cost in taxes).

If you shop around you may get a good deal.

Hi, I`m torn at the moment on buying a sigma 24 70 f2.8, here in aus its selling for just under 1000aud, in HK via Ebay 499.99aud + 60aud p&h , no gst or duty as under 500. BUT the warrantee is by the HK dealer so if anything goes wrong its back to HK. I already know there`s a problem using this lens on my 20D, but its OK on the D30,eos 5 & 1n. question save 1/2 price and take chance or spend more. I `m hoping sigma will rechip it regardless where purchased. I guess you have to weigh all odds.

You are right - the reason being that this is still rip-off Britain.

I have had no problem buying from HK via eBay. The well known sellers there are quick and courteous.

One or two vendors from HK warrant to refund any charges, and their feedback seems to suggest they honour that warranty.

I'm not aware of any difference in quality - I've never seen it suggested that Canon have two assembly lines, one labelled 'Top notch stuff for Britain' and the other 'Junk for the Rest'.

Hi I am located in the UK and I have purchased all of my canon equipment comprising 10D, 20D, 16 - 35, 24 - 70, 50 1.4, 85 1.2, 135 2.8, and 200 2.8 plus other bits from BHPhoto because of the favourable exchange rate. plus they offer extended warranties whether or not this is of interest is down to you. Personally never as of yet had any problems with any of the equipment. Only down side was they would not take my VISA but accepted bankers draft/transfer.

Have considered Hong Kong via ebay but just did not feel right although prices are very competitive when you factor in exchange rate taxes that you will pay irrespective of their assurances and shipping insurance the actual saving soon disappears along with the additional worry of getting faulty equipment and having to send it back at your cost.

Channel islands via 7dayshopping offer some competitive prices compared to the UK mainland. I am considering a 300 F4.0 and 100 macro in the near future.

I hope this helps.

You pays your money and takes a chance

Richard

In the UK, 7dayshop seem to have the best prices, if you dare buy from them..

Eg, for a 70-200 L IS USM

7dayshop: UKP 1,159 inc

The more reputable (IMHO) Warehouse Express has it at UKP 1,369

B&H: $1,700 + UPS $63 + 17.5% VAT +, say, 6% duty = $2,195 ~ UKP 1,167

So, say, compared with Warehouse Express, you're talking about a ~UKP 200 saving, or nothing comared with 7dayshop...

On lenses, the warranty is covered by Canon UK on imports, so the issue is if you think UKP 200 is worth less hassle if you wind up with an early problem - you can deal direct wth a UK based reputable source...

John

"On lenses, the warranty is covered by Canon UK on imports"

John - are you sure about this? I read (not too well informed) comments around the net that say that Canon UK Service Centres would not accept to service items bought outside UK. Are lenses treated differently? If so, I see little reason not to buy from 7dayshop.

Does it help to call Canon and ask about this - would they say anything else than "we recommend you buy from UK"?

Thanks for your input.

Thats why grey market gear is cheaper: there is no legal requirement for them to provide warranty and/or service to the end customer. The gear is the real deal, but we all know canon, like everyone else, doesn't get it right all the time with every individual camera or lense.

If you are lucky a dealer/distributor will help you out if you have problems, but they do not have to. They did not, after all, sell you the product.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

I always prefer to buy my gear from local shops, if you encounter any problems you can always deal with somebody face-to-face. It's worth paying slightly more to do this, but when the cost saving is hundreds of GBP, then you'd be crazy to shop anywhere except via the internet. All my big purchases are coming from the internet in future - I've had nothing but good experiences so far.

The UK retailers will just have to learn to adapt and survive. Perhaps, when Canon UK see their sales figures dropping, then they might have to price their products more sensibly.

It's the same lens wherever you buy it.

Remember that if you import from outside the UK you may have to pay import duty, VAT and the post office handling charge.

But remember you will have, as far as I am aware, no warranty.

Beware of sales staff in other countries talking about "international warranties". For example US sales persons will talk of an international warranty. It is indeed, but what they won't be too quick to tell you is, the standard US warranty is a USA/Canada warranty. Two countries hence international.

7dayshop is another option. They sell parallel imports, usually from the US. You should be protected by UK consumer law, they do offer a warranty but you will have to contact them in the event of a claim.

Considering current UK hight street prices, for many items but not all, I'll buy abroad or from the channel islands. The savings are quite substantial.

You are only liable for taxes on imports from outside the EU (the Channel Islands, although part of the UK are not part of the EU). 7dayshop prices now include UK VAT on items that cost more than the small parcel limit of UKP 18 by arrangement with HM C&E, so there's no extra liability. Germany often offers the cheapest prices for Canon lenses delivered to the UK, and you get the benefit of a 2 year warranty under German law (better than Canon's standard 1 year offered in the UK). Price discrimination across national boundaries is particularly marked for Canon equipment. It is very rare that you can import Sigma or Tamron lenses at a cheaper delivered cost than they can be bought for locally with some shopping around.

If you are going for the more expensive lenses then its certainly worth looking abroad. 7 day shop are very good, and just offshore. I found that when going for a mid-range prime and a zoom (Canon 50 f1.4 and a 75-300IS) that it was the same price to go to NYC and visit a friend, picking them up whilst I was there, as it was to just get them in the UK. Unsuprisingly, I went for the holiday option :)