Aperture Priority Underexposure when using Filters

andrew_buckley1

I was shooting a college assignment re filters and their effects on black and white film when i noticed an error in exposure.

I shoot with an EOS 1nhs and 28-135mm is lens and was using Cokin P filters. When in Av mode the meter was compensating for the filters as you would expect with TTL metering, however after releasing the shutter and without the meter reading changing, the shutter would be closed after only half the exposure time having elapsed. For instance with a red filter the meter was showing a reading of 15 seconds at f18, but after releasing the shutter it would remain open for 8 seconds only. This appeared to be the case with all filters where a loss of light occurred. However if switching to Manual mode M, the same meter readings would be given and the timed exposure this time would be correct, i.e. the 15 seconds as in the above example. The other way around the problem is to compensate in Av by one stop and this produces the original required exposure time! I have not had a chance to test my other bodies yet to see if the error does replicate itself, but will do so.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards

Andrew