snapshots printed at my local store. I want to take everything in

RAW and keep them for home enlarging individually using Photoshop,

but I also need to do a batch conversion to put onto a separate CD

for snapshot printing. Do the Kodak and similar retailers' machines

print best from 300 ppi or some lesser resolution? (Or have I asked

the wrong question?)

Thanks

Philip

Convert the RAW files to JPEG, sRGB for printing. You have the option to resize the prints to 4x6 inches and 300 dpi, but it's really not necessary. The native proportions are correct to fit 4x6 (8x12, etc). For any non-proportional size, like 8x10 or 11x14, you should crop, size and resample the image accordingly.

Record an action in Photoshop CS to do the RAW conversion and save as a jpg file in a folder. I do this all the time with my RAW files.

You can set up Photoshop RAW converter to save a sidecar XMP file with the RAW files. The XMP file saves all the settings you used to do the RAW conversion, which allows you to convert the image in the future using the exact same conditions. I select all the RAW files in Photoshops Browser that I want to convert, double click on the first one selected and make any adjustments I want to improve the image, hold down the ALT key and the OK button changes to an UPDATE button. Click the UPDATE button and the settings you made are written to an XMP file and the next selected image opens. I continue this until I complete adjustments on all selected images. I then run an Action on the selected images that converts them using data from the XMP file and saves the images to the folder I selected. If you only want to use the default camera settings, run the Action only.

I size my images to the final print size using 300dpi and save with sRGB profile if I am saving for a Fuji Frontier printer. Check with your photofinisher to see what they want, the professional lab I use wants 300dpi, but Adobe RGB profile.

Philip Freedman asked: "Can someone please tell me what pixel or megabite setting to use when converting from RAW to JPEG for the purpose of getting 6x4 snapshots printed at my local store".

The short answer is 300dpi or 1800 pixels on the 6" long side. The longer answer is that photos can be very nice over a range of dpi settings. The range will vary for output device and for print size. Your local store should be able to tell what range they like, but it is probably 240dpi on up. Everyone ought to be able to make a nice print from 300DPI. The questionable area will start when you have fewer than 240DPI. Your pics at 6x4 might come out all right, maybe not. You will need to experiment a little, but at abouat 29 cents an experiment you shouldn't have to go broke.

Don't forget to do your sharpening AFTER you have downsized the images to your final output size.

I just did something similar a couple of days ago, and after seeking advice here, this is what I did. BTW - I already had the RAW files converted to 16 bit TIFFs.

I created an action that ran auto levels, Fit Image (File-Automate-Fit Image) choosing 2450 as my dimension (I was resizing to 5x7), then change mode to 8 bit, save as a jpg at maximum quality, 300DPI.

Then ran a batch process on all the files I wanted to convert, saving these into a new folder.

Robert said : "Record an action in Photoshop CS to do the RAW conversion and save as a

jpg file in a folder. I do this all the time with my RAW files."

Can someone help me out how to do this? I have about 200 RAW photos in one folder that

I want to convert to high res JPGs. I've tweaked and updated the raw data, but how do I

record the action to read off the updated data? The record button is not available until

after I get past the raw dialog window -- but I'm assuming there's a way to make an action

open, convert, save, and close the file all in one click. Is there a way to 'select all' and

apply the action just once?