24mm vs. 24mm test shots

ashtonsmith

I'm not sure I follow the logic in this comparison. Did you buy the Tokina because you thought it would be better at 24 than the Canon, or did you buy it because it's a wider lens?

Compare the Tokina at 12mm to the Canon 24-70 at 12mm, and I'm sure it will perform much better. ;)

That being said, I think the difference is pretty minimal given the fact that you have the Tokina all the way out and the Canon all the way in, as David points out.

~John

Dude, you are full of it. You are testing one of the best 'normal' zoom lenses possibly in

the history of lenses with a super specialized ultra wide angle zoom lens - a very new

breed for full frame 35mm.

You might as well test a 14mm prime lens vs. a 50mm prime lens, and may be as

astonished when the normal lens blows the ultra wide out of the water. Apples and

oranges.

Hey guys, calm down. I had two zooms that both zoomed to 24mm so I shot the same

object with it. Does that sound like the craziest thing I could do? I never in my wildest

imagination thought that the Tokina would equal or beat the Canon.

I should post the full screen shots, as the crop really doesn't show it, but the Tokina looks

like it is out of focus by comparison. There is some concrete that has some texture that is

just plain not there in the Tokina shot. I didn't think I would get the same level of detail as

the Canon, I just thought I would get some detail. I will post the full size here in a few

minutes on the same page.

Didn't mean to come down so hard, but making ultra wide zooms is much tougher than

making wide - normal zooms, just like making ultra wide primes is tougher than making

normal primes. Even the best Canon ultra wide prime (14mm f/2.8 L at $1700) can't

compete, image quality wise, with a $69 Canon 50mm f/1.8 II.