1973 was a good year. It was the year that the fabulous Yashica

Electro GSN and the black professional, non-Leica Leica CL debut'd.

Free love was still everywhere, and the dollar could actually buy

something such as a roll of film or 2 gallons of gas. 1973 was the a

year I owned a VW Beatle and a Voigtlander Vitomatic 11---along with 3

pairs of jeans, 2 bathing suits (in case one got wet), camping gear

and fishing gear---a girlfriend for the morning, another one for the

afternoon, and evenings I went out to my pick---after my martial arts

class. (Several more for the weekend). I saw the CL back then, but I

snuffed it off because of its expense and its non-German build. 1973

was the year that I turned 20, and had the world by the b_lls. How

about you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<i>Hi Frank, I see you posting a lot about your Electro GSN and CL lately, but what happenned with your OM-1? Did you get the new bottom plate for it?</i>

<p>

Keep it on topic....

<p>

Frank dude...don't we know it?

1973 was a year of ups and downs for me. I turned 37 in August, was promoted to Full Colonel in October, started attending Air War College in July, and got divorced in September. I bequeathed my Konica Auto S2 to my ex and kept my Canon FT-QL. Living in the BOQ while attending War College, breakfast was 35 cents, and lunch and supper were $1.25 each with unlimited trips through the line. The BOQ (Bachelor's Officers Quarters) was $30/month with maid service. Walked from the Q to class so gas prices were not a big deal.

1973. Last full year in the Army at NSA. Drove my MGB to Maine to Buffalo to Kitty Hawk and back to DC - and other places, where I usually stayed at the USO or YMCA - clean places to sleep for maybe $5 a night. At the PX a gallon of gas was $.32 - a carton of ciggs was $2.50. Of course my income was $500 a month - whether I needed it or not - mostly not since the barracks was free, the mess hall was free, medical & dental were free, work clothes were free, and I walked a few blocks to work. So I bought a Pioneer stereo, some jeans, and a Mamiya 1000DTL (Pentax thread mount) - but I really wanted a Marantz and a Spotmatic. I didn't know about Leicas until a few years later. Pretty much stayed to myself - military types (obvious by the haircut) were mostly shunned by the anti-military VietNam-era free-love youth population. Kind of a bitter-sweet time.

1973 great year for baseball fans. Derrick Lowe, Jason Schmidt, Aaron Boone( brother of Brett ), Chan Ho Park, Nomar Garciaparra, Todd Helton, Ichiro Suzuki, and Johnny Damon were all born that year. Other sports notables manufactured in 1973 are Oscar De La Hoya-boxing, Steve McNair-football, Marshall Faulk-football, and Jason Kidd-basketball. Monica Lewinsky were also born in 1973. She has 'talents' that made her famous. I am also a 1973er.

I'm not sure how OnTopic this is, but I think it's all about as relevent as the year the yashica electro thingamajig was made.

1973 baseball - that's right - the Charley Finley white-shoes Oakland A's dynasty beat the Mets in the World Series - 3rd straight Series. Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers, Sal Bando, Reggie Jackson, Gene Tennace, Campy Campaneris. What a goofy team - a lot of fun though. Then free-agency set in and it all vanished.

I was born in Taipei, Taiwan in 1973. Recently I tried to search for a M5 made in that year as a birthday present to go with my other Ms. It turned out that the one i got was actually made in 1972, not 73, but i still like it a lot and use it more often than my M7 recently.

1973: <br>Kodak had 120,000 employees worldwide<br>

Nikon FS2 Potomic S was introduced.<br>

Polaroid introduces one-step instant photography with the SX-70 camera.<br>

Eastman Kodak introduced Super 8 film with magnetic stripes called "Ektasound," and an 8mm film cinecamera that could record a sound track on the Ektasound film. In Japan, Chinon Industries released an 8mm film cinecamera with sound recording capability slightly before Eastman Kodak. <br>The sound era of the 8mm film cinecameras had begun.

<br><br>

U.S. Supreme Court votes 7-2 to uphold women?s rights to abortion

<br>

U.S. signs peace agreement with North and South Vietnam and the Viet Cong

<br>

Vice President Spiro Agnew resigns after pleading guilty to tax evasion <br>

Gerald Ford replaces Agnew as VicePresident

<br>

<br>

And I was six years old..never heard about Leica or rangefinders.

I turned 12 in 1973. It was a crazy year as cash was low all round due loss of East Pakistan to India. We had a 'crazy' but bold guy as Prime Minister (Mr Bhutto later hanged in 1979 by military). I got a minolta Himatic E from my father. It was an electronic rangefinder which took marvelous pictures witha rokkor 40/1.7 lens. Only drawback was no manual control. I was drooling after my father's Cano FX with aa 58/1.2 lens which looked sexy compared to all oldscrew "Leicas" and Rolleiflex's.

Yes it's true in 1970's I would not care a xxxx for Leica as it was considered a dour old camera. Pakistan too had changed girls were free but unfortunately sex was hard to come by. I used to pester my father to send me to USA immediately as Life / Time magazine were available and girls looked so freely available.(Unfortunately his rule was money was to be given only for College education and that too Ivy League or Stanford, MIT Duke - I did hold him to his word as Igot admission in Cornell U)) Honestly late 60's and 70's West seemed to be a utopia of free sex. Aids and conservatives changed all that by 1980's. Despite the fact that money was short but the period was high on ideals and freedom then say now !

I was 19 and was shooting with a Nikon F. I got it as a present for doing well in exams in 1972.

There was a "Joint School" history exhibition. The theme was World War II and I shot over a hundred photos from various magazines and books, developed all the films myself and print all the photos (8X10, 11X14) myself in the school darkroom. I had a marvellous time and my BW D/P skills were established for life, but I didn't pick up any girls even though the other 3 schools were all girls schools! The other guys in the exhibition team were busy meeting the girls while I was busy in the darkroom.

I was also President of the school's Photography Club.

With all these credentials I naturally failed to get into university the next year!

That was the year my wife Stephanie and I took our two year old daughter Elena on a two month tour of the of the west, visiting my wife's dad in Las Vegas and some friends in Montana and Wyoming. We bought a canoe to put on top of our '72 VW microbus, did a lot of fishing, rode horses, shot a lot of pictures, and mostly stayed in campgrounds. Elena doesn't remember a thing about the trip!

There was a new motel chain, Motel-Six, and it was an economy outfit. Rooms were $6 a night. Camp grounds like KOA were less.

I was shooting with my trusty Leicas, a Leicavit equipped IIIf and a grey paint IIIc-K, which I sold long before it became worth a fortune. I had 19/3.5, 35/1.8 and 135/3.5 Canons, and 50/1.4 and 85/2 Nikkors. They were cheap! Import Kodachrome II was $3.79 including Kodak processing.

I also had a Minolta Autocord TLR and a 4x5 Graphic View II with a 100mm f/6.3 Wide Field Ektar and a 203mm f/7.7 Ektar, both in Flash Supermatic shutters.

That fall I did a story on a bee keeping naturalist/high school science teacher Laymond Hardy, and he's the one who introduced me to Bobby Tiger on the Miccosukee Reservation, starting another series of adventures. My two main clients were Barry College and the City of North Miami, and 8x10 B&W prints were still the standard for giving to the newspapers. I was making good money!

I shouldn't write until I've finished my second cup of coffee! The two LTM bodies I just mentioned had been replaced by 1973 with an M4 and a D.S. M3 and I guess I'd added a button rewind M2 and I guess the M2-R. I'd also added the 50/2 D.R. Summicron that came with the M2-R. The body/lens combo had been $375 brand new!