What cameras do you recommend?

dreamspy1

Hi

I am currently thinking about doing a switch from digital to film.

My setup now consists of the following items:

Canon 20d

10-22mm EF-s lens

50mm 1.8 lens

70-200 L lens

Tamron 28-70

550ex flash

The main reason for my change is that I think the magic is wearing out. I

usually know what to expect, and manipulating photographs in the computer is

getting boring.

I was thinking about getting an EOS film camera, and making use of my old

lenses, and possibly keeping my 20d. But that's probably not going to get me

satisfied.

So I'we been thinking about XPan or an old Leica, or even going into medium or

large format, but I really don't know what cameras I should be looking at.

What I am looking for is some recommendations on film cameras. Also if some of

you might have some thought on the Xpan or the Leica cameras. I would probably

be getting the 30mm lens with the Xpan since I am rather found of wide angle

lenses. But medium format, and even a view camera, might be something I would

be interested in, beeing able to do really large prints is something that I

might be really interested in.

regards

Frímann kjerúlf

gallery: skynvilla.is/dreamspy

I would keep the 20D - there are some things you can do better on digital.

For film, I just got myself a mint Nikon FM2n at a very reasonable price. Everything fully manual, so you have to think much more about your shots.

I've used a Pentax MX in the past... again, all manual.

Both the Nikon and Pentax K mount lenses can also be used in the 20D with an adaptor.

On the other hand if you want to develop your own film, I'd consider medium format. Plenty of choices at bargin prices these days... on the other hand if you are considering Leica, maybe bargin prices aren't a consideration?

Good luck...

Before making that kind of change, why not get a used Canon EOS SLR and try s few film types before you commit. Plenty of used ELAN IIE's in great shape on the market that are compatible with all your lenses except the 10-22. If you have never shot with film, first sample the varied film types before getting rid of the digital gear.

If you're going to make a switch, you may as well go medium format ... you will be impressed. The classic starter MF camera is a TLR (Rolleiflex/Rolleicord, YashicaMat, Mamiya, etc.). Check out the MF forum for more info. If you want a truly "magical" experience, shoot B&W film and process it yourself (it's quite easy with minimal equipment).

I'm essentially with Michael, but why stop at medium format! Go for a large format view camera!

<p>With most small and medium format cameras, the relationship between the lens and the

film is more-or-lesss fixedthe lens plane is parallel with the film plane and the

lens axis is perpendicular to it. Shift lenses aside, no matter what lens you mount on the

front of the camera, this relationship is maintained. <em>But not with a view camera!</em>

With a view camera, you can adjust the relationship between the lens plane, the lens axis,

and the film plane because the "body" is a flexible bellows. </p>

<p>Landscapes? With lens tilts you can keep <em>both</em> a nearby rock <em>and</em> a

distant mountain range in sharp focus. Architectural? You can raise the lens (relative to

the body) to include more of a building without having to tilt the camera up... avoiding

those annoying "converging vertical lines." Not enough? Need more? Go ahead and

tilt the camera up and then <em>drop the back</em> so the film stays parallel to the

building. Again, no annoying converging verticals. Heck, you can even take a straight-on

shot of a mirror and <em>not be in the picture</em>! There's lots <em>more</em> you can

do, too. </p>

<p>When you first see that big image on the ground glass, it'll blow you away. And when

you see the size of the negative... Ha! It's <em>huge</em>!</p>

<p>Do you like the instant gratification you get with digital? You can have the same thing

with a Polaroid back. Once you see the composition and exposure you want, <em>then</em>

put in a sheet of regular film and you'll know what you're gonna get. Polaroid even makes

a B&W film that gives you both a Polaroid print <em>and</em> a negative. Great stuff.

(BTW, Polaroid backs are also available in medium format.)</p>

<p>And then, of course, there's the Zone System. Since each sheet of film gets developed

individually, you can push or pull single negs to get full control of contrast.</p>

<p>To be sure, large format has its limitationsit requires a much slower, more

contemplative approach to photography. It's not as good as 35mm or digital for sporting

events, street photography, etc. But it will change the way you "see" images in

all formats. If you want to get your feet wet and you take your time shopping eBay, you

can get a nice used kit for less than $500 (US). If you decide you don't like it, you can

sell it and get your money back.

I would also suggest to buy a used eos-film camera and see if you want to stay with 35mm or go bigger. As you seem to like rangefinder cameras (x-pan and leica) you may want to take a look at the Mamiya 7. A 6x7 rangefinder with excellent lenses. If I had the money, I'd buy one.

Stefan

Your question is quite difficult.

If you want to go to a non fully manual camera, I'd buy a contax aria with the 50mm 1,7 lens

for around 500$, then for portrait the 85 mm or 100 mm lens or the cheaper 135mm 2,8

softer but the lens I prefer in zeiss SLR.

If you want to go back to basic I'd go for an Iskra 1 or 2 folder, it is 6x6 and the viewfinder is

so pleasurable to use, some usa for around 100$ on e bay or better by soviet camera or

fedka.

If you want an inexpensive early leica pick a zorki 1 for around 50 $.

You already have the lenses so the simple answer is to pick up a used EOS film body from a reputable place like KEH.com Its not necessary to break the bank all at once and immeadiately invest in a complete MF or LF system. For a couple hundred bucks you will essentially have a very capable 35mm film setup and from there you can play around and determine whether you want to get into larger negative sizes and maybe do your own darkroom printing.

First of all, thanks for all your great answers.

Maybe I should have noted that I'we already had a little experience with darkrooms, I have access to a rather good one at my school (color and b&w).

Thank you Bob Gentile for your post, I'we been considering LargeFormat allot and probably going to give it a try. But I'm also considering some other film camera which is more portable.

And yeah I think I'll be sticking to the advice some of you have made, not to sell my digital just yet, and maybe get a eos film camera to play around with.

I would love to get some more recommendations on cameras, though the Xpan and Mamiya 7 are quite promising .

The cheapest way (back) into film would be a Canon EOS body, you can get them quite easily and cheap from e*ay or KEH. If you want more manual experience, then either take a rangefinder like a Leica or the Hasselblad, or choose a manual focus SLR. I have both a Leica M and a Contax mf SLR and have to admit that the Leica is usually staying at home while the contax is my workhorse. I do not miss AF or other automation at all and the results are great. If you are a fan of rangerfinders and still like autofocus, the Contax G series might be worth a consideration as well. Optically (at least) on par with the Canon lenses these film systems should satisfy your needs in 35mm if you want to stay with small cameras.

But coming from a nice DSLR body I would rather go either medium format or large format. If you like automatism then I would go for a 600x Rollei, otherwise large format or Hasselblad or a MF rangefinder like a Mamiya would be nice as well. All of these should be capable of very nice results.

The X-pans and Mamiya 7's are great camera but are more niche systems that may not be great "all-around" cameras considering both are rangefinders and one is a panoramic setup. Both systems also have a much smaller range of lenses compared to most SLR systems. There are times when non SLR viewing can be problematic such as using polarizers or other filters although many people find ways around this with rangefinder systems. Also consider that you can buy something like a Mamiya RB67 and get a panaramic adapter than will give you pano capability without spending thousands on a dedicated 35mm pano system like the X-pan which is rather limited in comparison.

On the other hand, a rangefinder setup is tough to beat in terms of portability and the Mamiya 7 optics are known to be world class. In the end it comes down to what you plan on doing with the system.

I would strongly consider getting a used 35mm rangfinder. A Cosina Voigtlander Bessa would be an excellent choice, with a used 35mm or 50mm lens. RF cameras are much smaller than SLRs, great for low light and candids, and very light in weight so easy to carry one around everywhere. Take a look in the classified ads both here and over at www.rangefinderforum.com and I'm sure you'll find something interesting.

I agree with Stefan on getting a Mamiya 7 (not 7II) the make the best wide angle 43mm (21mm on 35mm format). and the 65mm and 150mm would round out a complete outfit. The only thing negative is the lenses are F4 and can't close focus. It is a perfect street and travel camera. The large 6x7 size will blow away digital 35mm format. And if you were thinking of the xpan its lenses are just as slow and the negative size is smaller. The Leica guys call the Mamiya the Texas Leica. It can xsync at 1/500 sec. has a built in Meter that fairly accurate and the size is about the size of a Pro sized 35mm slr. If I were going in your direction and had a darkroom available I would get one. They are in demand and if later you don't want it any longer you can always get back what you paid for it used.

Change your concept of WHAT you shoot. Consider why you shoot and the philosphy of photography. Maybe get a polaroid 600 and shoot some on that if you really want a shift, no ps, no neg, just a print from a camera with a cheap flash.

Maybe you should simplify. Also think about the experience of shooting and when you shoot the landscapes you so shoot, try to convey what you see. For example I have a friend that when he shoots his hidden architectual spaces, he'll be there for an hour or two before he shoots so that he really sees everything and THEN picks up the camera.

Consider doing this if you go to a larger format...use the 20 to shoot some previews, think through the situation and then shoot one final large or medium format image, maybe 2. It'll get you thinking about your work differently. See then the editing is done before shooting and the final piece is very honest and straightforward. And you can print it much larger.