Battery Life - Hasselblad 203FE

herb_gibson

I have been regularly using a 203FE for more than four years (I bought mine on mid-december 94).

I don't remember having changed the battery more than five times during this period. I experienced the lithium type cell (V28 PX-L) and alternatively the silver type (V28 PX Silver). I suspect the first to be slightly better in durability but I can't be much affirmative on this point.

If you want not to bother excessively about the power supply question, have always a spare battery in your bag : you'll shoot in a more relaxed way and enjoy using your camera (IMHO, probably one of the best ever made by Hasselblad).

Hope this helps.

Gerard

I would agree with you Herb. I use a 205fcc and good a camera as it is, the batteries do seem rather limited in life span - typically in the order of 40-50 rolls.

Whilst it is a shame, there is not much you can do unless you were to buy the Hasselblad external battery pack. Perhaps as battery technology improves so this will not prove sucha problem in the future.

In any event, perhaps this note will put your mind at rest that the camera might be at fault

Regards

Richard

• 3 months later...

I use the 205FCC, the rule is (according to the area

Hasselblad rep) to force the meter system off by

holding the AE Lock button down for 15 sec (a huge drag).

This causes the meter system to only be activated by a

shutter 1/2 depress. Before this I had 2-3week battery life,

after manually *forcing* it off, 2 months. My opinion is that

Hasselblad should disconnect the AE Lock from turning on the

meter system

hope this helps

geoff

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I use a 205 FCC with a winder F. Since I read in the Ernst Wildi's book and in the instructions booklet that "the battery check appears on the viewfinder display when the battery capacity is low", I wondered how low would be that, i.e. how many more photographs could be shot before total consumption. Now I know the answer: ¡NONE!

I was shooting outdoors, the battery check appeared on the display and the next time I pushed the release botton the image on the viewfinder became black. The mirror didn't returned instantly as usual. It was jammed. My heart, stopped. Finally I pushed the pre-release botton and the mirror went down.

Why I camera which costs 4.500$ (just the body) doesn't have a simple 100-75-50-25% power indicator? And the same goes for the winder.

I did some experiments with my 203 and found that when the shutter ring is set on B and the meter function ring is set on M the meter will not be activated even if the AE lock switch is accidentally pressed. I found that any other combination (e.g. shutter on C and function on M or anywhere else)could cause the meter to be turned on by the AE button. It is nice if you do not have to remove the battery since you loose any programing (A.S.A.etc.)each time the battery is removed. BTW, the external battery pack was discontinued a while back, and is not available at this time; however, you can make your own battery pack by connecting a wire from a spare 203 battery holder to an external battery holder (Radio Shack has these)that holds four AA batteries(6Volts). IF YOU CHOOSE TO TRY THIS, BE SURE TO ATTACH THE WIRES CORRECTLY IN ORDER TO GET THE POLARITY RIGHT (+,-)OR YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA!!!I have had the 203 in minas 25 degree weather both with its regular battery, and the home-made battery pack...no problems with either set up.

I actually had input from Hasselblad on the external battery project, and they made one version for me (similar to my previous description) that I later adapted to better suit my needs. I was also told by Hasselblad that the 203 does have a protection circuit in case polarity is reversed (i.e. you put its regular battery in backwards); however, I would not want to put that to the test with the current that comes from the 4AA batteries. I would also STRONGLY suggest using a long (one meter) very thin wire (slightly larger than telephone wire) for the project as that wire will restrict the amount of current flowing to the 203. I think that if Hasselblad had not originally offered an external battery pack, I would not have attempted my own version for this expensive piece of equipment. Daniel is correct though, BE CAREFUL, and I might add, get advise from the very helpful people at Hasselblad(Sweden)if you need to. I should also add that I have used a fresh (regular) battery in the 203 in minas 25-30 degree temperatures for up to an hour at a time with no problem, and if you keep a spare battery warm, and replace the one in the camera once in a while, you may not need the external pack for cold weather. In my case, I wanted to have an axillary source of power for my 203.

We are getting a bit off topic with regards to Battery Life; however, I am obviously not suggesting getting out the hammer and screwdriver and opening up the 203. The project described is quite straight forward...especially since Hasselblad actually made the first version that you can still see a picture of in your manual. When asked, Hasselblad said there was no in-line resistor or anything that complex in the design. It is just a straight electrical wire going from a 203 battery holder plug to a four AA battery holder. Just be sure to attach the +,- side of the AA holder to the +,- side of the 203 holder(not too difficult to figure out if you look at how the regular 6V 203 battery sits in the holder). Funny that the lawnmower should be mentioned, since my next project will be converting my lawnmover engine to a portable 6V generater for my 203 (for extended use in sub zero temperatures at the South Pole)!!

I've been an electrical engineer for over thirty years. last weekend I pulled the battery out of my farm tractor and proceeded to hook up the battery charger with the polarities reversed. after the smoke and flames cleared away, I just laughed. it cost me a battery charger, but I am humbled.