Black & White Film- how are you processing?

anner

Hi Anne,

I used to process all of my own b&w stuff, but it became too much to do when the volume picked up. I found a great b&w lab and have them process rolls shot at the rated exposure. I will still develop on my own if I've pushed or pulled the film.

I generally shoot the silver based films only, but on occasion will shoot XP2 Super. I have it printed on b&w paper though. I don't like the way it looks when printed on color paper.

Favorite b&w? Impossible to say. I'm in love with so many :).

Hi Anne - I like the higher contrast in Kodak T Max 100 and 400 film. It's easier to find someone to develop the C-41, but I personally do not like the look of it. My local lab develops - but enlargements over 8 x 10 I am having to find someone else. (locals use enlarger for any black/white over 8 x 10) I would love to develop my own again, but I just don't have the time.

Primarily T-grain film such as TMax 100, Delta 100, TMax 400, Delta 400 both medium format & 35mm. I process my own and use ID-11, 1:3 and develop at 68 degrees per the recommmended minutes for the above film I'm using.

I also use Pan F both medium format & 35mm as I like it especially when the client wants a 16/20 or greater enlargement.

Don't use large format anymore. Maybe again when I want to offer something quite different.

Just my thoughts as of this AM.

I often shoot with 3200 shot at 800 and my lab does a great job with processing. I also shoot with Kodak T400 CN film. I understand what people are talking about when they say they don't like how the labs process them. They tend to be processed with lots of brown tones or blue. However, I have a lab that has learned to tweak them so they look amazingingly like a true black and white print. <p> I had a local professional photographer do my engagement photos a few years ago. I took one look at them and knew that once I sent them to my lab - There would be a world of difference. Cool tones, too much contrast and other problems. <p> Just had them redone and a few enlargements made and they are amazing! I'm going to use them as samples to demonstrate why it is important that I process my couple's negatives vs me giving them the negatives to process themselves.

I process all of my B&W film, as well as my large format color stuff. Color roll film goes to a local pro lab.

As for my "favorite" B&W film... That's a loaded question. I choose the film based on the job requirement and the format I'm shooting. I tend to use a lot of Pan F+ and FP4+ in 35mm, J&C Classic 200 and 400 in 120 and 4X5 and 5X7 inch sheets, and lately J&C Pro 100 in 120. I used to shoot gobs of Tri-X and Plus-X, but I'm really getting great results with the J&C Classic. Most of the Tri-X I shoot these days is for me, not for work.

I've used T400CN for some work, but it lacks that oomph that you get with "real" B&W film.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... PanF+ souped in Diafine - true box speed and what a tonal scale! THAT has to be my personal favorite!

Anne

For street or wedding work, I love Fuji's Neopan 400. Beuatiful tonal range and fine grain. Perfect contrast too. It's a conventional silver based 400 speed B/W film, but for whatever reason, it prints up quite well on the color paper from the one hour machines, which makes it nice for 4x6 proof prints. And it looks gorgeous on B/W paper. For chromogenic B/W films, I prefer the Fuji Neopan "CN", over the XP-2, but the XP-2 is a nice film. I rate all my 400 speed films @ 320.

Russ

I used to have a very elaborate darkroom, but now I'm very much involved in digital and when I use B/W film I use C-41 process and have the lab make a quality CD and print digitally from that.

Some people love darkroom work. I don't. Digital has been a blessing for me in that regard.

I process my own b/w and bring the uncut rolls to my lab for proofing. I love

TMX 400, 100 and 3200. I also use Neopan 400 and 1600. I use XP2 in

conjuction with "real b/w" when I'm super busy and know I will not have time to

process 15-20 rolls. I like XP2 better than TCN b/c I find I can print it in my

darkroom with better results.

But time is precious....so Reina, if your still reading, which lab do you use for

b/w processing? Is it near you or do you send it? I love your pictures.

Christina

Christina,

I use Connecticut Photographics - www.ctphoto.com. They're about an hour's drive from me, but worth the trip. I believe they offer mail-in service, so by all means check it out. I also use the NP400 & 1600 films, and they do a good job with those, although I still think I do a better job of processing film which I've rated differently if only because I prefer the results of my dev/film combo. I haven't checked yet to see if they will process with my dev if I provide it, but I think I will look into it.

Btw, nice images & website. Is that a bludomain site

Most all the nearby labs, C-41,B&W and E6 that I used to use have closed up. I have a friend who has a C-41 line in his studio and when he shoots B&W I soup it for him (and a few others), but he's going more and more digital. I still prefer the look of conventional B&W film printed on silver gelatin paper the old fashioned way, and still keep a darkroom set up for negatives up to 6.5x9 cm/2.25x3.25 inches. I have cut down on the number of developers I have handy. My standard is D-76 1:1, use it once and discard it. I use stainless steel tanks and reels. I'm in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area if you're looking for traditional B&W email me: preacherpop42 (at) aol (dot) com