south dakota.....

michaelj

I am thinking of going to south dakota on a photo jaunt to try to

capture a little bit if the badlands. any one have any other

suggestions on places to go? Thinking of spending 7 (+/-) days there.

Any suggestions of accomodations? Any ideas or help is appreciaited.

As you drive into So. Dakota from East or West, you can rent from the state tourist center, a tape (perhaps they have CDs?) that walks you through the sites close by I-90. You pick it up at one end of the state and get a refund when you leave at the other, or return it by mail. It is very informative and well done.

Wall is the best town to stay in, although not the closest. You didn't say when you were going, but be aware that not many places are open this time of year--it's not hunting season and few tourist come this time of year. All the motels there are about the same. You need to be up and out there before sun up, since sunrise is the single best time (if it's not cloudy.) Be aware that the formations are very dangerous to climb out on if they are wet. Otherwise, they are OK. Stay well away from any large bull buffalo you see--they are extremely dangerous.

At Wall Drug, they have a display of large format photos taken 100 years ago of the region. These are well worth the effort to see. If the back building isn't open, ask if they might let you see the photos anyway. They are astounding and I still lose track of time when I view them.

Kent in SD

Do a google search for Cedar Pass Lodge which is lodging right IN Badlands National Park. They have some cabins that are sort of primitive but it's right there. As for other stuff, depending on what time you're there, Spearfish Canyon near the town of Spearfish has a couple of stunning waterfalls if there's been sufficient snow or if it's been a wet spring. Mt Rushmore should be seen just so you can say you were there but the best part is the back side of Rushmore where it's pretty easy to find some mountain goats if you're so inclined. If you are inclined to photograph some wildlife, Custer State Park has one of the largest herds of bison in the country. Good luck and good shooting.<div>00BOJI-22199384.thumb.jpg.72f0b2627e026ae62e67ab2b48144541.jpg</div>

We went up to Mt. Rushmore several years back, I'd say be sure and stop by there. Maybe half a day. We went through Jewel Cave out west of there; a nice place, but not that different from other caves. The in-progress Crazy Horse statue is in the area as well. On our way back home, we went through Gillette, Wy, and watched the coal trains.

At the time we went (in warmer weather), Rapid City motels were about double what we saw elsewhere. In cooler weather, might be more economical.

If you decide to go to North Dakota and the Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park, be

aware that the nearest town, Medora, ND is just about closed up now. There

is one open motel (Americ-inn?) and only one place to eat (the Iron Horse Bar

and Grill). Medora really only opens Memorial day thru Labor Day. Nearest

lodging to that is about 30 miles east on I 94. The north unit doesn't have

much of anything close. Scenery is great, and you can get up close and

personal with Bison on the roads. This time of year Bison in the snow could

look pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...