50mm 1.4USM focussing problem

thomas_vanagt

Not a solution but: yesterday night I found out my 35/2 gets stuck in close focus.

It won't, just like yours, focus out to infinity.

I'm going to the camera repair place to see if they can fix it. I don't expect 10 day old lenses to break like this. :(

This problem with the 50/1.4 arises regularly. I had one repaired by Fixation in London, and they told me that it is because of the failure of some under-specified internal plastic component(s) associated with the kludge that allows the 50/1.4 to offer FTM focusing without a proper ring-USM motor. If you are brave/foolish enough to try repairing it yourself, expect to have to obtain some parts.

You'll probably be OK. I just would not use the FTM feature of this lens. As has already been said, the USM on this lens is the cheaper micro USM. Canon uses some sort of special linkage to give the user FTM, but don't think it's very wise to utilize the feature too often with this lens. Either turn the AF on or off like you would with a non-USM lens.

I just posted to another thread about using the Canon plastic lens hood for the 50mm f/1.4. I don't have it (I use a generic rubber hood that screws into the filther threads), but the real hood fits onto the main body of the lens. This will physically protect the inner lens "barrel"- the one that moves in and out when focussing- from bumps and unnecessary loading.

I've had the same AF problems as mentioned previously, and I think it's because I once dropped the lens on it's front. I don't use FTM, and have focussed manually only after turning off the AF switch.

It's a shame that there are so many people reporting problems with this lens. It's a great prime and I love to use mine.

-TJ

> so in order to avoid any problem is recommended to do not use the FTM feauture on this lens? is this right?

I think that's the general consensus. The link between the focussing motor and the outer focussing ring is the weak link. It may give out or be damaged from excessive FTM.

I also believe that you should protect the inner lens barrel from shock loads, as hitting it will put stress on the interal focussing parts.

-TJ