Monitor too warm after running ColorPlus?

I recently purchased the ColorPlus software/spyder. I am using XP

and an Intel video card in a laptop w/ an external CRT monitor (NEC

FE991SB). I have turned off Adobe Gamma and have set the CRT as the

primary monitor. I have also eliminated almost all ambient light.

After calibrating with the software I end up with a very warm

screen. Though I had been running the monitor at 9300K (and thus

have become used to a cooler temp.), the temperature of the screen

still seems way too warm (the background of the screen I am looking

at as I type this is light pink). ColorPlus is supposed to set the

temp at 6500K.

How can I find out if I am seeing a properly calibrated screen and

that the software is working correctly?

Thanks for any assistance,

Ken

Unfortunately ColorPlus does not have the colorimeter feature like the Spyder Pro system. Without the use of a colorimeter (either part of the program, or a separate device) I'm at a loss as to how you can verify proper calibration.

I can tell you that white should look white and NOT light pink. Did you use the monitor controls to setup the screen to 6500K and then calibrate the system? Or did you leave it at 9300K and hope the calibration system would make it 6500K?

I'm not familiar with your monitor, but somewhere there should be a setup in the monitor controls for color temperature even if it's rudimentary. If you have the monitor manual, it should tell you which setting is close to 6500K, or it may have a setting that is 6500K.

For example, on the monitor I'm currently using (Hewlett Packard M900) you push a control button on the front of the monitor and the "Color Select" menu comes up. By using the + / - buttons you can cycle through color temperatures.

I'd start over again by deleting the Colorplus calibration file. Then setup the monitor manually first using the monitor controls to get as close to 6500K as possible, then run the software. The software can create a calibration file that tweaks the monitor to 6500K, but I doubt it is able to change it from 9300 to 6500. For example, I had a moderately priced Sony monitor that, when set to the 6500K setting measured 6250K with a colorimeter. After calibration it was 6490K. That's a tweak, not a gross change.

Steve,

I believe the ColorPlus System comes with the older original Spyder colorimeter.

Ken,

I use just such hardware with the original Spyder calibration setup and it seems to do just fine. You might try recalibrating the CRT agan and take extra care to get the white point and black point setup as precise as possible. I have found that if the black point isn't setup correct it tends to throw the whole calibration off. When I first did the CRT cal on my Viewsonic VS-195, I had to do it a couple of times. First I tried it with too much room light and that made it hard.

Gene

Steve,

I see the comparison list you spoke of, but I am now somewhat confused. If I read the Colorvision website info correctly, the colorimeter tool you are referring to is an additional capability that allows the user to check colors AFTER calibrating the monitor. The website specifically states that the ColorPlus kit will calibrate monitors although it is limited to preset Gamma of 2.2 and 1.8.

If I understand what you are saying, you are implying the ColorPlus kit does NOT calibrate monitors so therefore what good would it do Colorvision to sell the kit?

I only ask this information because I was considering the ColorPlus System mainly as a cheaper alternative to replacing a older Spyder that I now borrow when I need to use it. My monitor is now calibrated with the older Spyder and PhotoCal software and appears to be spot on as the colors I see on the screen represent the colors of the scan and the final printout.

Gene

Steve, Gene, and Sean,

Thanks for the suggestions and info. I deleted the ColorPlus software and the cali file. I then dowloaded the ColorPlus software from their website and ran it again- I got the same result. I also adjusted the on monitor controls to 6500k before trying the process (as well as zeroing in on the white/black points during the process). Right after the blue measurements, the screen takes a temperature dive (the screeen becomes light pink as before).

I have contacted Colorvision and they think I may have a faulty spider. They are sending me a new one to check it out. We will see what happens.

Ken

"If I understand what you are saying, you are implying the ColorPlus kit does NOT calibrate monitors so therefore what good would it do Colorvision to sell the kit?"

No, that's not what I'm saying. While the spyder acts as a colorimeter during calibration, the software may not provide a Kelvin temperature readout that you can review.

With my color calibration setup, I can use the spyder in conjunction with the software to provide an indpendent color temperature readout of the display by using one of the software utility functions. This is not related to calibration but is a utility function provided in the software.

The Kelvin readout ability and calibration of the monitor are two separate functions of the software using the same piece of hardware (spyder).

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the dalay in this follow up. I did receive the new spyder from ColorPlus. They sent it promptly and included a preprinted UPS return label for the old Spyder. The new one worked the same as the other so it wasn't a soft/hardware problem per se. Rather it was an issue w/ my video card setting. After lots of playing around w/ the settings I figured it out. I have to set my output to just the CRT and then extend the desktop to my notebook screen (in that order). Then and only then do I get proper tones. I don't understand it and I don't know if it is actually working properly, but this way I do see a grey gradient as grey, so I'm happy.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

I have exact same problem. I tried to calibrate my laptop display (Toshiba M35x) running intel video card. I left out with warm tone monitor. I'm running on a replacement Spyder from ColorVision.

Have you ever correct this on your laptop display? or you did for the CRT only?