Leica Announces APO-SUMMICRON-M 75mm f/2.0 ASPH Lens

Dear SMT,

Yes. There was supposed to be a press ban on publication until May 1. Someone screwed up or didn't play fair!

I'm expecting one of these lenses in the next couple of days.

And of course it ISN'T a telephoto. It's normal non-tele construction as you would expect from the focal length.

Cheers,

Roger

This is interesting:

" A homogeneously high imaging performance over the entire image field is achieved by using high-refraction glass types, two with partial anomalous dispersion, one of which originates from the former Leitz glass laboratory."

So they fired up the glass lab. I wonder if they are growing fluorite crystals?

Roger, maybe you know the answer to this: Is any of the 75mm, 85mm, or 90mm lenses for LTM or M mount actually constructed as a telephoto lens (negative group followed by positive group (or is it the other way?))? It hardly seems worth the trouble at those lengths.

Conversely, is the CV 50mm f/2.5 lens really a telephoto? Certainly, it's quite short for a 50. Also, 7 elements is a lot for an f/2.5 normal lens, and it seems to have some pincushion distortion.

i think the first lens group is positive since they get to see the outside first hand and get lots of attention from ignorant owners like myself. The first group gets all the credit for those cool coating colors which make people think the lens is worth it. they get to wear neat filters and get a cap before going to sleep

The group in the middle is probably happy half the time, and the lens group in the back i would guess is pretty negative, always dark, no tan, no exposure to other lens groups outside the barrel..never date,hard to clean..

"someone told me that the 75 summicron was just the same lens assembly as the summulux, shifted out along a somewhat longer barrel."

Uh, Huh?

Moving a "lens assembly" further away from the film only changes the plane of focus. It doesn't change the focal length rating of the lens. The focal length of a lens is given at infinity focus. Taking a "50mm" lens and moving it another 25mm from the film plane doesn't give you what most people would think of as a 75mm lens, since a true 75mm lens has it's optical center 75mm from the film when focused at infinity.

Great! That's wonderful news! Another ridiculously over priced Leica lens I will never be able to afford until they are at least 25 years old, and I'll likely be dead by them. Oh well, look at all the money it will save me to not even think about buying a silly ass 75mm lens when I can just step forward or back a pace or two and use my trusty 35mm, 50mm or 90mm f/2 Summicron non-asph. Think anyone will ever know the difference?

Hey D30...

Great response, I was laughing through the entire post.

I agree with you, as an old instructor once told me, "the best zoom or telephone lens ever invented was a good pair of boots. You just step forward to zoom in or step backward to zoom out."

JT

"Zooming with your feet" can make a lot of sense when street shooting. But when shooting portraits, a step or two forward or back can significantly change the perspective of the human face and the amount of background included in the shot.

I think it's great that Leica will now give portrait shooters another option for those times when shooting with a 50 would mean being so close that the features are distorted, shooting with a 90 would mean being so far back that the features are somewhat flattened, and shooting with a 75 Summilux would be just too clunky.

Anybody know if the 75 Cron is going to be available in silver chrome right off the bat?

"the best zoom or telephone lens ever invented was a good pair of boots. You just step forward to zoom in or step backward to zoom out."

Absolutely! In my opinion, you get a meaningful change of perspective only by approximately doubling or halving the focal length. A 28, a 50, and a 90 (maybe a superwide for variety) is really all you could possibly want in terms of different perspectives.

And if you're trying to frame, rather than change perspectives, your feet are a lot faster than changing lenses. So I don't see the use of a 75 for anyone who has a 50 and a 90.

Agreed, but "<i>Together with a Leica wide-angle lens, the universal LEICA APO-

SUMMICRON-M 75mm f/2.0 ASPH forms a versatile camera outfit," says Jean-Jacques Viau,

product manager photo at Leica Camera AG".</i><br><br>So for those who want a two

lens outfit - 35mm and 75mm is preferable to 35mm and 90mm in those terms.

You cannot duplicate perspective effects by stepping forward or back. While I agree that there is likely little difference in perspective between a 75 and a 90, there should be marked difference between a 50 and a 28 and between a 28 and a 21, and a 90 and a 400 and so on. You know that you cannot make the setting sun look as big as a basketball behind a church steeple by stepping forward with a 50. You need to step back and apply a 500mm CAT. Similarly, when you step back from your foreground subject to include all of St Peter's cathedral with a 50, you will make your foreground subject look like an ant. The only way to get your foreground subject to look like normal size and get the cathedral in too, is to move up close and use a 21 or 15mm lens. So whoever says you can just step forward and back is probably living in a world dominated by 35 and 50mm lenses. Is he going to take a head and shoulders portrait with a 35? Yeah, if he wants his girlfriend to look like Cyrano De Bergerac.

LEICA bei MEISTER Newsletter 31.03.2005

LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 2,0/75mm ASPH.

The lens combines the Leica APO- and ASPH.- technologies together with a floating

element lens !

Available May 2005 Euro 2.200.- incl. tax<div>00BgWd-22615484.jpg.397e75c34f35c0f16bb8a784498a02c8.jpg</div>