SWC Close Focusing

terence_m.

Having finally succumbed to the almighty SWC (albeit a fairly beat

up C T* SWC/M model) I can't afford a focuing attachment for it.

Although I normally don't do much up-close work the SWC has piqued

my curiosity. Are the distances marked on the lens measured from

the subject to the film plane? I tried using scotch tape as a

screen, but just couldn't tell even with a darkcloth. The camera is

quite sharp for general photos, but figured I'd ask the photo.net

folks before I blow a roll of film trying to figure it out.

The distances marked on the lens is the measurement from the subject to the film plane. In the absence of a viewfinder, you can purchase a ground glass adapter for little money. It attaches to the back of the SWC (where the film back attaches), and you can check your focus and composition.

Dave Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

www.david-odess.com

Terence,

The focusing screen is a fine idea in theory, but in practice, I found it to be quite fiddly and most of all dim, so dim as to render it pretty useless. Perhaps Bill Maxwell can be talked into making a Maxwell screen for it. I think you would be well served to stick with scale focusing rather than using the screen, but try it if you like, your mileage may vary. good luck

Using Hasselblad's focusing screen adapter is extremly easy, screen is very bright and any finder can be attached. And adapter is, as earlier mentioned, not expensive at all. Highly recommendable! Flexbody's adapter fits mechanically too, but only a very limited part of screen is showing you the image to be photographed. Did you guys know that also for Superwide there was a close up extension available. Funny, it was designed to be used between body and magazine. Was in producyion only for a while a long time ago. Has anyone seen in real life or even used?

Kerkko K.

Terence,

I have one that I got for like $75 that I don't use. Just let me know if you want it. If you

want to do close up work without doing a lot of bracketing, you do need to use the back.

I have been using Large FOrmat cameras for that use instead which is why I don't use my

GG Back.

jmp