Native White Point

Hello,

After reading related articles, I set my Apple Studio 17" LCD display to native white point/

gamma 2.2, and calibrated with Spyder2Pro.(I think native white point of this display is

5,300K.) Gradation was felt softer when calibrated with 6,500K/2.2 as I used some test

method from Real World Color Management. but as I have worked with 6,500K color

temperature for long time, this display seems too yellow to me.

If there are two LCD display which has each 5,300K and 6,700K native white point, and

compare print in 5000K viewing booth with images from monitors, I think one of that two

color temperature would be more matched with print.

that is to say, as 5,300K monitor feels yellowish, and not good for print to screen

matching, then you can set 6,000K or 6,500K based on real experience not depending on

native white point. am I right?

and one more thing, I wonder if native white point is lower as 5300K, is it OK to set 6,000

- 6,500K? I want to know if there is any bad aspect of native white point, with print to

screen matching.

thank you for your help.

The native white point of most LCD back lights should be pretty close to CT 6500K.

There's no way to change that! The reason you want to calibrate to that is if you ask for

something else, adjustments have to come about in 8 bits on the video card LUT. This isn't

like a CRT where you can "physically" adjust the white point by adjusting the intensity of

the RGB guns independently. So setting an LCD to anything but Native doesn't buy you a

thing. Since the ICC profile records the native white point, adjustments are then carried

out in the ICC aware application like Photoshop which can do this with greater precision

and without causing banding like you'd get by doing the adjustment in 8 bits from the

video card LUT. Another reason why LCDs are not as useful for precision color as CRTs;

there's nothing to adjust other then the backlight intensity. The right answer is to use

Native White Point and let the app do the adjustments using the ICC profile.

-->1.8, or 2.2 and what temperature 5000, 6500?

1.8 or 2.2 refers to the tone response curve of the display based on the gamma law. That

has nothing to do with the white point. The native CCT temp is what it is (you need to

measure it to build a profile). Point is, whatever it is, you lave it as such.

Dear Andrew Rodney, thank you for kind answer.

I have a few knowledge about limitation of LCD monitor, backlight and vide card LUT and

profit of native white point from many CMS professionals including you.

let's go back to the first question, ICC aware applications can adjust deference of gamma

between monitor profiles but white point isn't, am I right? so as already I told you, 5300K

native white point is yellower than 6500K and I'm not used to.

~~~

=============

If there are two LCD display which has each 5,300K(17inch LCD Apple display) and

6,700K(20inch LCD iMac) native white point, and compare print in 5000K viewing booth

with images from monitors, I think one of that two color temperature would be more

matched with print. that is to say, as 5,300K monitor feels yellowish, and not good for

print to screen matching, then you can set 6,000K or 6,500K based on real experience not

depending on native white point. am I right?

and one more thing, I wonder if native white point is lower as 5300K, is it OK to set 6,000

- 6,500K? I want to know if there is any bad aspect of native white point, with print to

screen matching.

=============

so I want to listen more specific answers.

ps. I want to change 'when' to 'then' from first article, "Gradation was felt softer when

calibrated with 6,500K/2.2 as I used some test method from Real World Color

Management."

I work with a 17Inch LCD Apple too (5300 K native whitepoint) - and my prints are a bit

cooler than what I see on the screen. I guess we should let the whitepoint (according to

Andrew) and correct the picture for print with a bit yellow...

I work with a professional printer profile. My problem is that the print is also pretty much

darker than the screen picture. My question to Andrew: Is this because my Apple LCD

brightness is on max.? Is the picture in fact darker? Or what could be the reason for this?

What is the best brightness for image editing on Mac?

Thanks

Nat