I recently bought Rebel Xt with 420EX, I have a 540Ez which I had

bought from Ebay to use with Elan7e. I think from what I know that

540EZ can not work as a master for wireless and only works in M mode

with digitals if I am not wrong.

I would like to know if there is any way I can use 540ez with my

digital system.

What possible combos and what settings do I need to use these

flashes. Is it even possible? I know there are so many creative

minds here. I hope someone can figure out a way to do it.

Thanks

My lenses(17-40, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 70-200/4) if that is of any

relevence

<p>The EZ cannot participate in the wireless flash setup. It doesn't work with the XT's flash metering system. You can use it with the <em>flash</em> in manual mode, but that means that you are responsible for picking an appropriate output level for the flash, and aperture for the lens, to get a correct exposure.</p>

<p>Unless you're willing to go with this manual setup, you might as well consider the EZ to be incompatible with your XT.</p>

I use the 540EZ with a 20D. Since you can control the flash power quite easily, as long as you don't have to work fast, it's fine. With digital you get instant feedback, so you can adjust flash power and lens aperture accordingly.

To use both flashes you'd probably need to get an optical slave trigger. I don't think the 540EZ does wireless. You could then use the 420 on the camera and the 540 (with manual power setting) as an optical slave.

<I>"You could then use the 420 on the camera and the 540 (with manual power setting) as an optical slave."</I>

<P>

Just make sure the optical slave device is capable of working with the pre-flash of the 420EX, some can, most can't. Also, most inexpensive optical slave devices cause most 540EZ's to lock up after firing once. This might cause you trouble.

<P>

Since you have a 420EX, I would use that for the DRebel Xt.

<P>

Since you want to use these together, I would sell the 540EZ and buy a 550EX (think eBay), so that you could easily use both together in an E-TTL wireless setup. Getting another 420EX won't do it as you need a mastering device like the 550EX. If money is tight, you could substitute a Sigma EF-500 DG Super for the 550EX, but some people have reported metering errors with this flash. It worked fine for me though.