Successor to Epson 2200 in the works (rumour mill)

Hi all,

apparently there is a successor to the Epson 2200 in the works at

Epson. It will sport one more cartridge, medium grey, which apparently

will give smoother transitions in B&W printing. It is probably

released this fall if all goes as to plan. At least they will be done

by then.

Yes, you can diss this information all you likes and you should take

it with a pinch of salt, they may change some along the way.

I can't reveal my source but that person is an insider ;-).

BEAU:

Nah, that's not the one!

I do know about the R1800. It doesn't have light black, or the coming medium grey, and the R1800 won't print as well on matte papers / canvas (does it even do canvas) or Fine Art paper as the 2200 already does.

I am talking about the NEW 2200, not the A3 version of the R800...

JOHN KELLY:

I haven't heard that specific model number, 2208, which sounds odd indeed. The person who told me actually WORKS at Epson, with insight in the R&D of inkjet printers. Not one of those "I heard it from someone who heard it from someone who..."

Still, there is no guarantee that it will surface exactly as he mentioned it, though he has been right on the money about the last three/four generations of Epson printers, including the recent R1800 which I had known about for ages. It has been funny reading about all the misconceptions and false info on the R1800 on the internet and at that time I didn't want to chime in. It might have been a mistake posting the info on the 2200 successor here, at the rumour mill HQ ;-) but there you have it - just wanted to share something. I don't expect anyone to believe me any more than he would the next guy, we'll just have to wait and see - won't we?

I myself will be picking up a second hand 2200 next week - it'll do me just fine ;-).

JOHN KELLY:

Umm... If there IS a rumour on a new 4000 Epson as well it would make sense - a medium grey cartridge in that one as well and they would be upgrading both the 2200 and 4000 at the same time and in the same way.

You might be on to something there. I am in no position to be pressing my contact on vital information at the moment but if I hear anything substantial from him I could pass it along, in a very general way ;-).

ELLIOT:

No, not as far as I could make out, no gloss optimizer.

It seems like they are carving into that niche of Fine Art / Matte printing with the 2200 / successor. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem getting it all right with them inks / papers on both matte and glossy if longevity of prints is to be factored in. One could wish for a perfect printer but it seems like we're in for a long wait.

Well, sooner than I thought;

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson9700.html

Supposedly it is the 2400 that is to replace the 2100/2200.

Looks uglier than the 2200 but the tweaks are probably right on the money.

I just bought a second hand Epson 2200 with Imageprint RIP so I'll be fine for a while ;-) though it's the same old story: fret over buying a printer for long enough and the successor is just around the corner.