john_baker8

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did not find anything in

my searches. I can buy two BP-511 batteries from Adorama cheaper

than one BP-511A. I know that the BP-511A is a longer lasting

battery but does anybody know HOW much longer? Even if the BP-511

last only half as long as the BP-511A it would probably be netter to

get two BP-511 batterys? Does anybody have any statistics on the

difference between the two batteries?

I don't have any statistics handy, but FWIW my 20d seemed to go forever on a single charge (like a week) until I (a) turned up the LCD brightness to the max and (b) took some long exposures at night with noise reduction (CFn-2). Then it appeared to use a lot more battery. So I guess any extra juice is useful

<p>According to the 20D manual, <blockquote>"The number of possible shots with the BP-511 or BP-512 will be about 75% of [the number of possible shots with the BP-511A at] 20°C. At 0°C, the figures will be about the same as [the BP-511A]."</blockquote> So two BP-511 batteries for the price of one BP-511A will give you more shots for your money, as long as you don't mind having to change batteries (or use them in the battery grip).</p>

<p>Now, time for my (possibly silly) question. According to the manual, the BP-511A and BP-514 both take the same time to charge and give the same number of shots. The BP-511 and BP-512 both take the same time to charge and give the same number of shots (as each other, not compared to the 511A and 514). So what's the diff between a 511A and a 514, and what's the diff between a 511 and a 512?</p>

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I don't use my 20D nearly as much as some, but with a Canon BP-511A and an off-brand BP-511 in the battery grip (BG-E2), the battery life seemed to last about 4 weeks (200-300 shots). I switched the off-brand BP-511 out for a Canon BP-511A and didn't need to charge the batteries for 3 months (around 1000 shots). I didn't do any controlled tests. Hence, my numbers may not mean that much. I feel good about the 2 511As though... I'm happy. :-)