difficulty winding hasselblad back

kevin_manley

Just picked up a used 503cw with a A24 back, though they we're suppose to give me an

A12 back. Anyway, I'm new to the hasselblad system and was suprised that winding the

film was so difficult. It seems oddly tight. Could I possibly be doing something wrong? I've

checked and re-checked how I'm loading the film and I'm prety sure I'm doing it right.

Anyone else had this begginer type of problem?

Kevin,

<p>Quick check - is the A24 back for 220 film? Were you putting 120 film in it?

<p>120 film will produce 12 shots on 6x6 cameras, 220 film is twice as long, so you get 24 shots on it. The big difference is that 120 film has a paper backing all the way through, and the 220 film only has paper at the start and end of the roll. Backs designed for 220 film have a thiner area for the film to pass through, so putting 120 through there would definately be oddly tight.

<p>If that's not your problem, perhaps someone with more experience on the 'blad can answer your question.

<p>Jordan R. Urie

<i>Backs designed for 220 film have a thiner area for the film to pass through, so putting 120 through there would definately be oddly tight</i><br><br>This is correct for many backs or cameras taking 220 film, but not for Hasselblad backs. In fact, the only difference between 120 and 220 Hasselblad backs is in the counter and frame spacing mechanism.<br>Hasselblad backs use a sprung pressure plate to press the film against the rollers at the edges of the film gate which determine correct register. The pressure plate can move back more than enough to accomodate the thicker 120 film, and still press the front (emulsion) side of the film into perfect register.<br><br>Kevin,<br><br>Did you check that the film is running underneath the film clamp on one side of the pressure plate?

At the top of the pressure plate, there is a thin aluminum lip. The film must be positioned underneath this lip (between the lip and the pressure plate). If you are already doing this, then here are a few other things to check:

Make sure that the two large rollers on the spoolholder (insert) turn freely, and that neither of the rollers is binding.

There is a chrome plate on one end of the spoolholder. This is the plate that has the two pieces that move up and down that hold the film spools (on the newer style magazines, there is one piece that "see-saws", instead of two separate pieces). Look at the two ends of this plate, where the two large rollers are held in place. If either of the ends of the plate are bent down, they can rub on the edge of the film.

If you are loading the film underneath the lip on the pressure plate, and the 2 large rollers are turning freely, and neither of the ends of the chrome plate are bent down, then I would suspect that the working parts of the magazine (drive gears, etc.) are gummy. This would indicate the film back could use a cleaning and lubrication.

David S. Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

www.david-odess.com

So I bought a lot of expired film and played with it and here is what I discovered. 120 film

is slightly harder to wind through the spools on an A24 back than 220 film is--at least

from my short experience with the two used backs I bought. The spoolholder plate isn't

bent but the supply spool does indeed roll rather tightly--it's even starting to squeak.

Both backs are bargin backs from KEH and since they sold me the wrong ones they will be

replacing them with A12 backs next week. Rather than getting two bargain backs I might

get one that is in better condition (like new) and hope it works a little smoother. Thanks

for you help guys. I love photo.net!