cousin. She's getting married next week, so it's not going to be

feasible to reschedule. This is a relatively casual shoot, but I'd

still like to do a nice job. Since it's a freebie, I'm really not

willing to rent a another camera, especially considering that I'd

have to take time off work to drive an hour each way to pick it up

and return it. So, I'm planning to borrow my dad's old Canon A-1

and Contax TVS (ditigal P&S) and hope for the best. It think it

will be kind of fun actually, but I'm a bit nervous about using an

unfamiliar camera and not having that instant feedback I'm used to.

Do you think I can get by with a 50mm 1.4? He's also got a wide

angle prime and a cheap (slow) zoom (100-300 I think), but I'm

planning to use mostly the 50mm. Also, any recommendations for

film? I'm trying to decide between either 2 rolls of b&w (and use

the digital for a handful of color shots), or 1 roll b&w and 1 roll

color. What ISO? I just read the other post where someone

recommended Ilford XP-2 @ 200, so I may see if I can find a roll of

that.

We'll be shooting outdoors in late afternoon/early evening; weather

looks like it will be mostly sunny so I'll be hoping to find some

shade. I've also got a 42" "5 in 1" reflector/diffuser and access

to a hotshoe flash and another off camera slave flash. I've used

the camera before, but don't have any experience with the flashes,

so I don't know if I even want to use them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My guess is that with the 1.4 lens & daylight you won't need any more light. If you do, then use the reflector. I'd also stick with the 50mm lens. The camera is a dependable workhorse and the 200 film should do you well.

I'd do a roll of B&W and one of color to give her a choice.

Good luck and post a sample of the result!

Mark

Jennifer,

I think the 50mm is a great portrait lens, you just need to be careful about your distance to the subject to avoid distortion. Since you're not very familiar with traditional b&w films, I might suggest that you use a C41 film like XP-2 Super or Kodak Portra. Which to use would depend, IMO, on what paper it was being printed on. If your lab can print on b&w paper go for the XP-2 Super, if not then I'd choose the Portra which is much better suited to color paper. If there's enough light, I'd go with NPS for color, if not NPH or Portra 400. I'd work with the light and skip the flash if at all possible especially since you aren't comfortable using them. The more I shoot, the more convinced I become about ditching the flash & working with available light only....

Thanks for the input. I'm used to a 50mm on my DSLR and know it will be noticeably wider on the A-1. I'll try not to get in too close -- are head shots out of the question? I was only thinking of using the flash as fill if there's strong side lighting with the afternoon sun, but I agree -- I'd rather not bother, so we'll just be judicious with the location. I really prefer working with available light anyway, and it will be a good chance to get some more practice with the reflector.

I'd use the 50mm for the full lengths for sure, but why not the 100-300mm for the head shots with a tripod? Unless it is just poor quality, you aren't in a rush and can work with slower shutter speeds and the tripod. Of course, if you're planning some non-traditional shots where you need to be free of a tripod--that's another matter. In a pinch, the 50mm can be used for head shots, but you will see some distortion. Half lengths are fine, though. You could also cover yourself and use both lenses for some head shots.

Sounds like the reflector would be better if you can find shade and backlight her (which looks great with the veil). In bright sunlight, a reflector is less successful since people tend to squint with the bright light bounced back at them. Also, if it is windy, the reflector is difficult to work with unless you have an assistant. I'd have a backup plan with fill flash, in case.

I'd go with 160 speed film for the color, and the closest speed to that for the black and white--125, if it's real black and white film, which I would use only if you have a great black and white lab or do it yourself. Otherwise, as others have said, the chromogenic films are easier. I'm assuming these are the more traditional bridal portraits where the bride's mother may order a large print. If not, you could go with faster film and less traditional shots. Why don't you ask the bride how much black and white she wants? I think it would be difficult to shoot one roll of color and one roll of black and white without having two camera bodies unless you are going for completely different posing for each type of film (in which case the ISOs can be very different). However, I would not restrict the color to the P&S. Even if people say they don't care about enlargements for the traditional color shots, they often end up getting them later (at least, that is my experience), and you want to have the quality there.

Nadine -- I like your suggestion of backlighting and using the reflector. One small problem is that I don't have a hand-held meter and I'm not that familiar with the metering on this camera. I was planning to stick to AV mode, but in a backlit situation, it should work to get up close with the camera, meter off her face or neck, then back up, switch to manual and use those settings, right?

You guys are giving me some great ideas -- thanks so much!

The Canon A-1 with a 50mm F1.4 FD lens is a great combination. I used it for 15 years and got some of my most memorable shots with it. You may be reluctant to go back to your modern machines after you see what it can do. Just step back far enought to get the head and shoulders. Too close and you can accentuate your subject's nose too much. I prefer natural light if possible.

Yes, I know I need a light meter :). It's probably next on my list of equipment to buy. Now I just need to get a hold of the bride... I have a feeling this whole thing is going to fall through anyway.

On a side note - I should have called the camera "my dad's 'trusty' old A-1" instead of just "my dad's old A-1". It's just been around as long as I can remember, so I think of it as being 'old'. I know it was good camera when he bought it and would still do a fine job today. Now that I've bought some film, I'll have to get out and use it, even if the bridal session doesn't happen.