iTTL still works when flash is pointing up?

koh_boonwei

Hello all,

i been using the SB-28 on my D70 all along on auto mode,recently the flash recycling time is getting

very slow..

i tot of getting the SB-800/600 to replace it for use on my D70,i'm curious to know whether the iTTL

still works when i bounce the light ? +/- 1 stop accuracy?

i'm usually 2-5m away from the subject indoor/outdoor.

another question i have is whether the SB-600 flash have auto mode? nikon website dun seems to

mention it..

thanks..

Does iTTL works with pre flash metering only?

i really dun like the pre-flashing function due to the lag.

last time with a F5+SB-28 setup, i just need to dial in +1.5 on the flash when i bounce it

off a white card,the flash fires off immediately.

Can the SB-800/600 + D70 work the same way?

thank you..

"recently the flash recycling time is getting very slow.."

You could exchange the batteries (or at least recharge them ^^), but I can see its a good excuse to get a new flash.

If money is not a very limiting factor I recommmend to get the SB800 for the D70. The D70 has an excellent flash system and the SB800 is a great companion to the D70.

Peter, your SB-600 works "GREAT" when bouncing, yet you find yourself compensating flash exposure very often. You have strange notion of meaning for word GREAT.

Do you verify underexposure value after a shot is made in bounced technique? Are you sure you use the ISO 200 ? Do you bounce in larger reception rooms with SB-600 at ISO 200?

I believe if you get SB-800 or two of them, then the meaning of great could change, and perhaps compensation may not be needed that often?

I suggest set ISO to 400 or to 800, just for testing, and shoot to see if compensation is needed that often. And always verify underexposure value to see if that is what made you using compensation ?

I can't answer exactly as I have a D2X and not a D70, but having used an SB-600 on it for the past several weeks, I can safely say it does an amazing job on bounced flash (using a LumiQuest Promax system to do the bouncing in outdoor settings...). I've had to fiddle with flash compensation a couple of times when really white objects intrude on a dark scene, but it is no less accurate than regular matrix metering - never more than +1 stop, though.

" to do the bouncing in outdoor settings..." - where do the light bounces off then ?

ourdoor - no walls, no ceilings, ... you must be using direct light from the flash to light up the subject (even if you tilt the flash up), or use some surfaces to bounce off. I think we are talking about different things here.