FA repair parts ?

johnw63

Yes, I know. Many of the parts are not available, but what about just

the standard film back ? I'm currently checking out a clean FA, but it

has a big ugly 3rd party data back on it. Because of this, I might be

able to get it cheap. If I can't get a standard back somewhere, I

won't bother. Any suggested sites or shops to try ? I'm in So.Cal.

Try E-Bay. I saw quite a few non-functioning FA's being sold for parts and I believe I even saw the doors being sold by themselves.

Just out of curiosity: what's wrong with the data back. It gives you a wonderful learning tool through which you can improve your exposure technique and the only sacrifice you're making is looking a bit more geeky than normal. I don't believe the actual phisical size differences in the backs bother you, do they?

Best luck!

"I don't believe the actual phisical size differences in the backs bother you, do they?"

This particular one is HUGE ! It has almost a full keypad in the back and a chunk at the non-hinge side that could house 4 AA bateries. At least from the photo provided, it does.

Nikon lists the FA back , which is the same as the FM2, for $48. THe p/n for the FM3 was

different , so perhaps they are not the same. I was expecting less, for just the film door,

but..It's Nikon. I haven't seen any used one , yet.

<i>The p/n for the FM3 was different, so perhaps they are not the same.</i><P>The FM3A back has the film cassette window (hence the different p/n), but it will fit all the FM/FE/FA series bodies. Also, the MF-16 databack (very slim - not much difference from the standard back) will also fit all of these bodies.<div>00BgLn-22608784.jpg.34924b219cd0c69695649e9a10d77ca3.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
John, if you end up getting a FM3a back, it has the slight advantage of a small window to see the film you have in the camera, the older backs have a memo holder pocket. By the way, this is an interesting databack which I had never seen before. Apparently you can type in up to 30 characters on the keypad and have that imprinted on the film. It stores that sequence in volatile memory, but the 9V battery will be exhausted in 3 days. See <a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/infoback_2/infoback_2.htm">here</a>.