of you ever been there? and what focal lengths did you find most

useful? The ones that I am considering are; 50mmf/1.8, 85mmf/1.8, 20-

35mmf/2.8 zoom and 28-200mmf/3.5-5.6 zoom. Is the wide angle of the

20-35 worth carrying around the extra weight or do you think the 28mm

zoom is enough? I would like to trim this group of four lenses to

three maximum. Also do you think using balanced fill flash for the

outdoor shots would be a good idea or not on the planes. Thanks for

your time, Jim

Jim , its been a few years since I was at the musuem. The planes that are outside are fairly close together, so I would bring a wide wideangle.The light is starting to get that harsh light we have in the summer already,I would think flash fill would be good if you are going to have people in the photo,you will have to be close to them to use it. I can't remember how dark the inside exibits are ,a fast film will help with that,you did not say you are shooting film or digital.

If you are shooting detail shots of planes or static displays a telephoto of some kind would help.I believe the planes inside are roped off ,outside I don't think they are. You might check and see if they have a web site ,this should give you some ideas looking at their photos.

The Aircraft Graveyard next door is very interesting ,although I do not believe it's open to the public.

I am sure some of the tucson shooters like John Falkenstine can give you better info ,you might e-mail him directly.

Thanks for your reply Mike. I shoot film, F100, and I was planning on 200 and 400 speed. This will be a casual walk-about and all shots will be handheld. I have other telephoto options besides the 28-200 but I want to keep weight down however my 75-300 is a possibilty??? Without having never been there my gut tells me the wide angle is going to be more useful. Do you think the 85mmf/1.8 to be enough for tight detail shots? Thanks,Jim

Yes,Jim I think for tight detail inside, a fast 85mm lens will be good.When I was a kid here in phoenix in the 1950's, 60's ,the aircraft graveyard for all the WW2 aircraft was just outside Phoenix in the town of Goodyear.You could drive for miles and miles along side the graveyard seeing B-17,B-25's and all the planes and helicopters of the war. As a kid growing up it was very special. When I was in the Airforce stationed at Clark AFB, in the PI,we had a graveyard of all old vietnam and korea era planes. It was a good place to catch intruders who came on base to steal wire and electronics out of the planes. I spent one night in the cockpit of a C47 Dakota ,with my Dog Tonka (K9) thinking I was a WW2 pilot,but I digress.................There are several former AirForce 1's at the musuem .Have a great trip.

Thanks for the input so far. Mike I live in northeastern AZ and go down to Tucson quite often but have never been to the air museum. I guess what I am trying to avoid is carrying a telephoto, say 200 and above , if I don't need it. Right now I'm leaning to the 20-35mmf/2.8, 50mmf/1.8(might be useful inside the hangers) and the 85mmf/1.8 if it will be enough on the long end. How does that sound??? If there is more out there with input please keep it coming. Also how about the flash useage. Thanks, Jim

If I remember right the ceiling is very high, and you would have a hard time bouncing the flash.I have shot at the Champlain Fighter musuem in Mesa,(I think it has now moved to washington state), and I might be confusing the two. It seems to me that one end is a large hanger door that is open when the weather is good.This will help with the light if you shoot available.I am still hoping that John Falkenstine will see this and can give you up to date info.If he does not I will ask other photographers at work,and see if they can help.I spend quite a bit of time in NE Arizona, I even lived in a apt in Gallup for a winter while I worked on a Project on the Navajo Reservation. Have a good trip.

Never been to that museum, but have been to a local air museum.

The 20-35mm may NOT be wide enough, but of the ones you listed, it will likely be your primary lens at the museum. The Sigma 12-24mm lens would be a good addition, in case you're looking to add a lens.

Also, be prepared to shoot ISO 1250-1600, or even higher, at least indoors, or (obviously) use flash.

I live in Tucson and get to the Air Museum every year or so.

They don't let you inside a lot of the planes, so use for a really wide-angle lens is limited, unless you just like them. There's a tour through Kennedy's Air Force One, but it's not ideal for photography since you'll be in a group and they'll be trying to push you through. There's a Mitchell bomber with an open bomb bay you can stand up inside and look around, but you can't get into the cockpit or gun positions or anything else interesting. Mostly you have to stay outside.

Photography outdoors can be hard if you get a clear, sunny day. The light here can be very harsh. Fill flash is helpful. The light indoors is often very nice. The buildings are big, have lots of open space and reflective walls and ceilings.

I wouldn't stress about lenses. You wouldn't miss much if you walked around with a 50mm and nothing else. A 50 and 28 would cover almost everything. There's not much need for a telephoto unless you want to photograph small details on big planes. I like to take a tripod, because I like the indoor exhibits and sometimes need long exposures.

Hi Jim,

I was just there yesterday, and hadn't been there for about 15 years. The place has come a long way since I last saw it. I used an F100 and 100 speed slide film outside with a 24-85 AFS lens, which I found quite sufficient. I found no need to mount my longer zoom. The lighting in the hangars is not too bad, and at least one I recall had skylights which really helped. Indoors I used a range finder with a 35mm focal length so did not have to think about mirror slap. The lighting was good enough (using an incident meter) that I was able to keep shutter speeds to 1/30 and above. BTW, next weekend is the big annual airshow at Davis-Monthan AFB. Have fun!

I would not haul a carload of lens with me..Take the 28/200 and one wide angle...I have never been to Pima, but I have been yo several others. They are all very similar...I am attaching what is probably a copy of a rare photo..I do not think you will find one to ,take a picture of. If you do send me a copy. It is a B25G Mitchell medium bomber use extensively in the Western and South Pacfic areas during WWII for low level bombing and srafing I was crew chief on one of these for two or three years. It is very distive in that it has a 75mm cannon in the nose. It was very heavy armed and lethal. I would define it as the B17 of the Pacfic Theater<div>00Bdyv-22556084.thumb.jpg.b950abcebfdc611d5c982e59e15c635f.jpg</div>

Message to everyone that has responded so far. All of you have been very helpful, many many thanks. I'm not sure who is more pumped up about going, me or my 12 year old son. Hard to believe that I have never been there before, I'm really looking forward to this. I do want to keep the load light so I will most likely take the 20-35mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8 for indoor close-ups in low light and because it's new it will give me a chance to check it out and the 28-200mmD f/3.5-5.6 along with a flash unit and the F100. Darn that makes a load. Bill- I've had a thing for the B-25 since childhood, what a sweet machine! I checked the Pima web site and they have a B-25J on display. They stated that only the G and H models had the 75mm cannon, so no luck there. I'll see what I can do about getting you a photo or two. Thanks again guys, Jim

I was also crew chief on a B25J.After flying the "G' 53 missions it was retired after supporting the Marine invasion of Tinian. We took the "J" s to Okiniwa where we bombed southern Japan until the war ended. I seriously doubt that you will ever see one that was in combat, because they left hem where they happened to be after the war was over. I can not recall how many "50s" it had or how many rockets it could carry, but they were a flying arsenal.

• 2 weeks later...
I have taken my nephew to the museum some time ago and he had a VERY good time. I know the museum since it opened and the struggles its gone through. If you go (hopefully not yet) I recommend going a bit early since it can get hot and uncomfortable outside. As noted I wouldn't bother with any long lenses, but do recommend a lens hood and a polarizer for outdoor shoots. I think a 50mm is really about all you need. The museum is great for airplane displays but unfortunately its displays about local history, including Pinal Air Park, have been badly botched, and for some reason access to its archives (I tried it for writing some stuff) can be met with outright distrust and hostility. The store in the entry is great and the B29 on display is impressive. The concession stand is very pricey. Make sure you have a hat on in hotter weather.