Which Backpack?

delwyn_ching

Aloha,

I plan to travel in a few weeks and want to bring along my camera in

a backpack. I've been looking at the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW. I

havea Canon Digital Rebel (300D)and Canon 20D, Canon 18-55mm lens,

Tamron 28-300mm lens and a Speedlite 580ex.

I plan to bring the Digital Rebel and both lenses plus the flash.

What I plan to do is tons of walking taking pix of the Hoover Dam

and hiking at the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. I also want to pack a

light jacket, plus some energy bars and water.

Is this the right pack to get or is there others you recommend?

Mahalo

I have a Lowe Super Trekker AW. It can hold all kinds of stuff, plus the tripod on the outside. It's also lousy to carry. IMO it's very poorly designed from the standpoint of a backpack. Great camera bag that has straps. I don't much like it after a couple of miles.

I've been thinking about modifying my old Kelty backpack (external frame) to carry my camera gear. I bought that pack in the 1970's and Kelty is still using the same aluminum frame to this day; they must have gotten something right. IMO, if you're going to be carrying the load on your back for any distance, the weight distributing qualities of the packframe are much more important than the bag that's attached.

I'll second Mark's earlier suggestion on the Canon 200EG. I've just bought one. It's currently loaded with my 10D with battery pack & mounted 17-40 f4L, 15mm f2.8EF, 85mm f1.8EF, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 550EX flash, cards, batteries, etc., and has plenty of room left to hold many extra accessories in the outside pockets. All of my other bags are shoulder types, none of which could hold all that equipment and be as comfortable to carry as this bag.

For a body, 2 lenses, flash and a jacket, water and energy bars, the mini-trekker would have room to spare. It's a great backpack but too big for your needs.

For that light load, I'd agree with the poster who suggested the Orion or the Rover. Another consideration would be the Micro trekker.

Great camera bag...lousy backpack, especially if you're tall. I have one and use it as a camera bag and it works great. However, if you load it down you'll find the straps have very little support and it tends to dig into your shoulders. I'm tall, though, so it might fit you differently. I would try and find one in a store and load all of your gear into it..see if you like how it fits.