Monopod at Weddings

fj5

If you do 3-5 weddings you'll figure out the system that works for you.<br>

I don't have a monopod.<br>

I always bring a tripod, I use it maybe less than 10% of the time.<br>

But when I need it, I really need it.<br>

I can see how some people would not even bother to bring tripod/monopod.<br>

Especially if they are PJ style... or if a photographer is small and doesn't want to carry too much.<br>

I frequently use both a monopod and tripod. The tripod for formals, and the monopod for the most of the ceremony shots. Lately I've been skipping the monopod for some weddings and just use the tripod as a monopod by extending one leg. It's not as convenient to use, but it saves me the time/hassle of keeping track of, and using, both. I have a system quick release with every support/bracket/camera equipped with the same device so substitutions are quick.

Since switching to digital, I find the higher usable ISO's are allowing me to hand hold more, so the monopod is getting used less.

A couple of things to consider:

Maybe most damaging thing that happens to available light images is caused by camera

movement, (perhaps more than any other single thing).

IMO, Tri-pods are essential at the ceremony. They are even better with a cable release.

Mono-pods are very useful for mobility. They allow you to go most places you can go

when just hand holding. Any lower light shot taken with a Mono-pod will be better than

just hand holding... the exception to this rule may be a rangefinder which can be hand-

held at lower shutter speeds than a SLR or DSLR... but even they are better on a Mono-

pod.

Jacking up the ISO, even with the newer DSLRs, is an unnecessary compromise when a Tri-

pod or Mono-pod is employed... unless subject movement is a concern, which is less likely

during a ceremony if you observe your timing carefully ( ISO 200 or 400 is better than ISO

800 or 1600).

definitely useful... in more ways that one. Just this saturday we used one to hold a second light (slaved 550), as a regular old monopod, and then to hold the camera up above the crowd during the hoora hoora (sp?) (where they lift up the b+g on chairs)... got some cool shots with a 14mm... set the camera to self timer, zone focus, hit the shutter and hold it up there.. we got some cool stuff that way.

Monopods just do not enter the equation, i have been using this product at weddings for the last couple of years.

In low light it is often better than a monopod.

Bronica + 80mm + Metz, 1/2 sec no problem.

Digital, 35mm, Long lense as above.

Jim Kingston.<div>00BeRk-22565684.jpg.60a3384d9d86997112afdc3a10ae5ac1.jpg</div>