Shooting in the dark

bob keegan

Hey guys and gals,

I am going to a reception shoot in the dark desert. I am thinking

about how to light it properly for candids. It is outdoors with

candles on the tables and some white xmas lights in a big overhanging

tree. There "might" be lights around the DJ but I'm not betting on it.

I shoot digital only so I will bring my trusty D70 and a 17-55mm 2.8

along with a 50mm 1.4. I just got a lightsphere which I will bring for

twilight shots. I could drag my dynalites in and set them around (I

have 4 2040's with 45" umbrellas) Or I could rent some pencils and do

the 360 lighting but I worry about ruining the mood.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can give me some hints?

What would you all do? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Regards to all,

Bob

Don't try to beat it, use it ... or it won't look like what it actually was.

Mix it up: Silhouettes, directional light, dragging the shutter, tripod work with long shutter

speeds, fast apertures, along with more conventional on camera flash shots ala Wee-Gee

or party paparazzi.

Taking the big lights would work also, but just for a few over-view establishing shots. Put

them up really high with the umbrellas to spread the light, and sand bag the stands (sand

to fill them isn't a problem right?) ... then shoot wide shots from a step ladder ( assuming

you have someone to help you lug all that to the location). Shots opposite the big lights

can work also. Per Jeff Ascough's seminar suggestion: keep the lights in the shot so the

unusual lighting source is understood. Sounds like a cool shoot. Good luck, have fun.<div>00Bfej-22590584.jpg.f2d044ea6521a7f246447e9c4fa75bc5.jpg</div>

South Beach is a strange place. Girls come from all over the country, even from Europe, to admire all the terribly good looking muscle bound men in their tight jeans and T-shirts. It takes them a day or two to discover that the guys aren't dressing that way to impress the chicks. It looks like these two young lovelies discovered that Marc was straight and are following him, hoping to entice him with all that beer!

What Marc said, fast lenses and use the light that's there, they have obviously put a lot of effort into creating a twilight atmosphere. Your job should be to capture this. It's easy to stick up some huge flashes and go round and get some photo's, but you will be doing your clients a disservice by doing so.

If you want some insurance, you can use subtle fill flash on some shots, to be sure you get something (if that makes you more comfortable).

The above suggestions are great if you have buildings or other objects around to help reflect whatever light is present. Your scene might not. I've shot in situations where it is a big empty space with no tents where, no matter how much you drag the shutter, your background is still the blackness of emptiness. In those situations, I would definitely set up one or two off-camera flashes, in particular to rim light the activity on the dance floor and other areas. Doesn't have to be Dynalites with umbrellas or pencil lights--battery powered, small flashes would be OK too. I especially don't like hair and black tuxes merging into the background, etc., so I just go for a little separation from the background. You wouldn't need the extra lights until way past sunset, when it is completely dark.

You also should be prepared to use manual zone focus with your lenses since your camera may struggle with autofocusing in such low light, even with focus assist from the flash unit.

I agree with Nadine. I recently shot a reception that was outside in almost complete darkness. I could barely make out the shapes of people in the viewfinder. In this case, I had my assistant work a second light in the background which worked fine. I had one SB-800 on camera and an SB-800 mounted on a monopod with my assistant.

-brian

Assuming clear skies and stars (will you have a moon that night?), and if you can work it into your coverage, consider some long exposures from far away (100 ft or so), with the reception and candle light and xmas lights at the very bottom of the frame and stars filling the top of the frame. You say you only shoot digital, but if you had a spare that you could set for 1-10 minute exposures (or longer for great star trails, but you risk burning out the candle/christmas lights) you might come up with something very unique that captures the mood. Maybe try this at the very end when you are "finished" so you don't feel time pressure to get back to the action. I did this for an outdoor gathering in the evening and the results were very nice. It is a crapshoot though.

John