kathy_owen1

I have a canon digital rebel and a canon elan. I am wanting a lens

that will be good for portraits and also a good zoom with excellent

quality.

Any suggestions?

My budget would not be more than 1500.00 for this lens. I REALLY

don't want to spend that much but I realize you have to pay for what

you get.

Do you want portraits to be at the long end of the zoom or the short end of the zoom. So would you rather consider the 17-40 or the 70-200. In either case I would add a 50/1.8 for about $75 anyway. Many will say the 24-70 or 28-70 but that is alot of money for a lens that really does not do very much, especially on an x-factor DSLR.

Of course if it was my money I'd go 50/1.8, 85/1.8 and 200/2.8 all for under your budget. That is a good budget by the way, gives you lots of options. Good luck!

Portrait lens:<P>

50mm f/1.4 - $300 great for digital, good on film<br>

85mm f/1.8 - $300 great on film, little on the long side for digital<P>

Zoom (Which could double as your portrait lens):<P>

70-200mm f/4 L - $550, excellent lens, good value, smaller and lighter<br>

70-200mm f/2.8 L - $1050, excellent lens, faster aperature, larger/heavier<br>

70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - $1600, excellent lens, faster aperature, image stabilization, largest/heaviest.<P>

Personally I think you should get the 50mm f/1.4 and the 70-200mm f/4 L, and then add the 85mm f/1.8 if budget allows. <P>

Hope this helps!<P>

Sheldon<p>

PS. What lens did you end up getting for your Grand Canyon trip?

If you're looking for a moderate tele zoom, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS should fit your requirements.

If you can tolerate a lens with f/4 and no IS, a lens that is much smaller, much lighter and much cheaper, you can go for EF 70-200 f/4.0

You didn't say 1500 of what (dollars, euros, pounds...) but have a look at the Tamron 28-105/2.8 zoom. It's a little soft wide open but at 5.6 and 8 it's excellent, very sharp. The AF is slower than average, but for portraits that usually isn't a problem. This is a big lens that takes 82mm filters, so be warned. I use it on my EOS 3, EOS 10, and EOS D30. Just remember that on the digital Rebel it will be a 45-170mm/2.8 or thereabouts. Try it out in a photo shop and see what you think about it.

Seems like you have a wide Tamron zoom already and you probably like zooms so I'll refine my answer to 50/1.8 and 70-200 f4 L. Total is about $800 USD. The problem with the f2.8 telephoto zooms is that although they are handholdable they are not something you want to walk around with. It's nice having a monopod to support most of their weight, when possible.

Kathy:

<p>

It would help if you told us what lenses you already have.

<p>

Two zoom lenses would give you a lot of coverage:

<p>

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - $420 new

<br>

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L - $580 new

<p>

The 28-135 isn't very wide on a Digital Rebel but still makes a good all purpose lens. The 70-200 f/4 L is an excellent lens. You would have money left over from your 1500 (USD?) budget to go toward a wide angle zoom like the new Tokina 12-24mm lens ($500 new).

<p>

The single focal length lenses already mentioned - 50mm (f/1.4 or f/1.8), 85mm f/1.8 - would serve well as portrait lenses. I would prefer the 85mm for portraits on the Elan and any of them on the Digital Rebel. You would still have money for the Canon 70-200 f/4 L zoom.

<p>

Happy Shooting!

<p>

Jim

My Lens are"

canon 50 f1.8

tamron 17-35

I also have a promaster 70-300 and the image quality is bad. The promaster is the lens that I'm wanting to purchase another to replace it. I have used my promaster lens alot but the longer I have been taking picture the more I can appreciate the better lens.

Kathy;

Yes, take a look at the 70-200/2.8L-IS. It will do what you want. . .but costs the full $1500 budget. Also. . this lens is way big and way heavy. .. you may not want it, even if you CAN afford it.

I really like the idea of the 85/1.8 and the 70-200/4L. That will keep you under $1000.

The 50/1.8 is a fine portrait lens on the digital rebel, and the 85/1.8 will be a fine portrait lens on the Elan. I have the 50/1.8 for my 10D, and I am considering adding the 85/1.8. I also have the 70-200/4L.

You can also add a 1.4TC to give the 70-200 a bit more reach down the road.

After being through the period of buying "to fill the gaps" myself, I have come to one conclusion: buy the best you can afford and save for what you want/need. Do not hurry, do your research. Good lens is a joy to use all of its (hopefully long) life. Fortunately, and thanks to all kind people in this forum, I haven't made any mistakes myself ;)

Paying a lot for a lens only hurts once, so don't let it be the deciding factor. Of course we all have our limit, but try to go for the best and you won't regret.

I have the following lenses and I have found them in the following order for the image quality, sharpness contrast color etc (on Elan7 300D and now on RebelXT)

70-200/4 Best

50/1.4 and 85/1.8 equally good but 70-200 a little better

17-40/4L comes the last though I have only had it for few days as I bought it with RebelXT.

so go for 70-200/4 wont regret it