Necessary lenses for Weddings?

mreul

I am trying to compile a list of necessary lenses to shoot weddings for a

business plan....I have an idea but would like to get some advice of seasoned

pros....what did you start out with? - what are must haves? What would be a

good assortment to shoot a wedding well? I shoot now with a canon 20D but will

be looking at the canon 5D as my primary camera....appreciate the feedback....

hey meg,

you have some lovely captures in your wedding gallery.

your question is a bit open ended and kind of unanswerable.

in general it's good to have a wide lens, a medium lens and a longer lens. Faster is generally better. guessing you already knew that :)

beyond that you'll need to be more specific in your question and include more about yourself and your shooting habits etc.

My first wedding was shot with 3 film rangefinders and 3 lenses (35, 50,90)

I currently use canon digital bodies (for the most part) with a wide zoom (16-35), a 50mm, an 85mm and a 135mm (with the occasional use of a 300/2.8).

cheers

I shoot with 3 lenses with my D2X<br><br>

1. 17-55 f2.8 dx<br>

This is used for most everything, including getting ready, formals, precessional, venue, etc...<br><br>

2. 70-200 f2.8<br>

This is typically used for the ceremony only, as I like to be to the back/sides and shoot from a relative distance<br><br>

3. 50 f1.8<br>

I use this guy for low light reception shots.. dancing.. etc.

Thanks for the feedback - i love this forum - it is soooo helpful....in response to, "beyond that you'll need to be more specific in your question and include more about yourself and your shooting habits etc"

Sorry I'm not more specific...well about me & my shooting habits:

I'm brand new to shooting and shooting weddings athough have done (5)and have assited a bit...and i'm trying to do as much as i can. I'm in love w/ this and am working very hard to learn and research everything i can to go into business for myself shooting weddings and portraits...but I'm a very young "shooter" only picked up a camera about 1.5 years ago and never touched one before in my life...same w/ design....(I'm also a graphic artist)but i'm working hard and realize the effort it takes but am up for the challenge....so....

about my shooting: I shoot digital and I have one lense so far:

Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF Autofocus Zoom Lens for Canon EOS

I'm trying to figure out what else i need to supplement....and i have ideas but there is so much info it gets overwhelming....

thanks so far for the great feedback and very helpful advice everyone....again - I appreciate this so much.... ;)

all in all i want to make sure i'm well prepared on the equipment end...as well....

hi meg,

I'm not familiar with the tamron so I can't comment on it.

on the 20D you might want somthing wider than 28mm, but really it's up to you. I find the canon 16-35/2.8 to be a great lens with 1.6x bodies but if I were buying a wide zoom today I'd look hard at the canon 17-55/2.8 as well (but keep in mind the 17-55 won't work on a 5d).

on the long end I used to use a canon 70-200/2.8 (which is a fantastic lens) but for my style of shooting and the venues I work I found the 135/2 to be more useful overall. Canon also makes a 135/2.8 which I've not used but I know many people are very happy with it and it's considerably more affordable. regardless, I'd suggest having something longer than your tamron zoom.

and if you don't already have one, a fast 50mm lens is a good buy. I can't recommend the newly announced f/1.2 as I haven't used it yet and the price is a bit steep (although I'll prob buy one) but either the 1.4 or 1.8 is fine. On either a 1.6x or full frame body it's a very useful lens.

really there are any number of great lenses available and as you develop your style and shooting preferences you'll be able to figure you which ones are for you.

cheers

I have almost exactly the same lenses as Lucas for my 20D. My 135mm is the 2.8 version. In addition, I have a 35mm f2. Were I to get a 5D, I would keep what I have and possibly add a zoom, although probably not the 24-70mm. Maybe the 24-105mm f4. Maybe switch the 135mm 2.8 for the 135mm 2.0 L and add a 1.4 converter. My first weddings were shot with a 28mm, 50mm and 105mm. Must haves for me are the 35mm and 85mm angles of view. Could shoot a whole wedding with just those two.

I can only tell you what I use most of the time. The two most used a 70-200 f/2.8 and the 20-40 f/2.8. Both Sigma. The other two that I carry along "just in case" are the Nikon 50 1.8 and the Sigma 105 2.8 macro.

I'm also thinking of picking up a 15 2.8 for some nice wider angle stuff.

I have been using a 28-135 IS on my 5d I rarely change it. It may not have f2.8 for blurred background and it doesnt have 200mm reach that everyone else demand but its small and lightweight, has all the coverage you need and a great IS, if you try it youll love it. Its not expensive but it is ,in my humble the best lens yet made for usability

The 5d is an <em>exceptional</em> low light camera. That being said, I normally have

one

of two lenses on it for weddings. My favorite lens is the 50 1.4 - and it is probably

the

best lens I've used with the 5D. When the 50mm 1.2 is released I'll most likely upgrade

and

use the 1.4 on my 10d.</p>The second lens that I absolutely love is the 100 f2. I do have

a 24-70 on my 10d and occasionally

use it on the 5 - but I like to stay with the 50 or 100 on the 5D. My next purchase will be

the 35 1.4 - but I need to try it out first (and sell the 24-70).

Zooms

are convenient, but I prefer the speed, lower weight, and image quality of primes. A

dream lens would be the 200 1.8 - but I'd rather use the cash and buy a house on the

beach...</p><a

href="http://www.donhillstudio.com">Don</a>

• 2 weeks later...

28-75/2.8 Tamron is surprisingly good optically; Of the Canon zooms 24-70L trumps 24-105L optically when it comes to the quality of the blur, although most are obsessed with the "sharpness" nowadays..

IMO, the shooting culture so to speak of the baby-zoomers is way below compared to primers, akin to communicating via instant messengers vs leter writing. although from the business side it doesn't really matter