lens for 10d, or 20d

aka eve adams

I am about to purchase a digital camera. (see a previous post) MORE

THAN likely a used 10d, or a 20d. I am wanting to know if the sigma

18-55 lens f2.8 is only for these digital's or if i can use it with

my eos 1n, and 10s as well. If not, i was looking into a tamron 28-

75 f2.8 as well.... same situation, will this work on my film cams.?

If not what is a good option for this "digital equivelant" of a film

28-105 range in the f2.8 sector...? that will work on my film cams

as well, so when i can switch to full frame digi my lenses work...

thanks sooooo much

18-55 f2.8? I don't think there's any such beast.... There is an 18-55 f3.5-5.6. However,

this is an EF-S lens and will *not* fit on a 10D.

Basically, you're asking about a digital SLR with a lens that's the equivalent of a 28-105

f2.8. Well, the first thing to say is that no such 28-105 lens exists - they're typically f3.5 -

f4.5, or even f4 - f5.6. There isn't an f2.8 lens with that zoom range. The nearest match in

digital terms is another EF-S lens, the 17-85, but that's f4- f5.6. Again, being an EF-S

lens, it won't fit on a 10D.

There's an alternative. I'm not trolling here, but this is what I did just a month or so ago -

buy a Nikon D70 with the 18-70 lens that comes with that. It's a better lens than the 20D

kit lens (that you can't use on a 10D) and it's a cost effective package. Try it.

On the other hand, if you've got film SLRs then you've either got to make compromises in

the Canon range, or (again) do what I've done - be prepared (for the time being) to run

with two ranges. I use the EOS bodies for B&W film, and mainly use wide-angle primes,

and I use the Nikon digital for colour. I find there are very few occasions when I want to

take both cameras out with me, so cross-use of lenses is not such an issue.

There is a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC yes. It will only work on APS sized digital sensors, ie the 10d or 20d. It will vignette severely on your film bodies however. DC is Sigmas name for APS specific digital lenses. Tamron has Di 11 (note the 28-75 is Di, so it will work on your film bodies), and last but definitely not least Canon has EF-S lenses which only work with APS sized digital sensors.

There is a subtle point being made that the above posters alluded to that I would like to state more clearly:

The 10D has an APS-C sensor like the 20D, but **DOES NOT** have an EF-S lens mount. It has a standard EF mount identical to the 10S and the 1N.

On the (big plus) side, any lens you buy for the 10D will work fine on the film bodies :)

On the (small plus) side, all the EF-S lenses from Canon are significantly overpriced compared to EF lenses. The only exception is the 18-55/EF-S kit lens - - > which can be hacked (literally, using a hacksaw) to fit a 10D.

For a 10D, I would recommend the 17-40/4L as an outstanding lens. Slightly longer, but significantly cheaper, is the 24-85. Considering that you have film cameras . . .I would not waste my time on EF-S lenses even if you get a 20D.

From B&H about the SIGMA 18-50/2.8 EX DC:

"Note: Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras, or for 35mm size "full-frame" digital cameras, e.g. 1Ds or Kodak Pro SLR/c."

So it will work on either the 10D or 20D, but not your film cameras. HTH, I've been thinking about picking one of those up to compare to my 24-70L.