R4 - 50mm Summicron - Is R4 reliable now, generally?

Just sold some medium format stuff no long used last week. Brought

a used R4 + 50mm 'Cron as it was very attractively priced. Never

tried Leica R before so I don't know what to expect. Tested 4 rolls

of film on the street immediately. The first impression is I like

it much more than my EOS3 + Canon Standard 50. I feel that it is

lighter than my M and as nice to use.

The negatives from the test rolls are good when I looked at them

through my 4x lupe. However, when scanned the colour appears to be

a little strange to me - but I only applied some automatic quick

fixes. I have not yet printed the negatives. Some of the scanned

files are shown below.

My question: is R4 a reliable camera? What is its reputation in

this regard in the last 20 years?<div>00BcJC-22517184.jpg.c3c0827f6370e1073f43c5ed12db22c2.jpg</div>

"My question: is R4 a reliable camera? What is its reputation in this regard in the last 20 years?"

These cameras range in age from 19 to 25 years old so each one has been subject to a long and varied use, so their historical reliability probably has little meaning as regards predicting your particular camera.

When I asked about reliability, the seller just mentioned something like "if you want reliability, buy the mechanical R6.2, we don't guarantee nor repair R4's electronic parts". But the price of a used R6.2 was many times my used R4, so I took the risk.

The serial number of the R4 is 15422XX. Looks like it is an earlier model.

Frank - Thanks for posing the question. I will think about it (this is a serious and complicated question to me and I really cannot answer immediately and briefly).

Can you share you view here (even if it can be very harsh to me)? Since this is the way I take photos for two years, I would like to know whether it indeed has a problem.

Eddi

I have an R4 with Serial number over 162XXXXX.

As much as I love the big viewfinder I must admit that it is not a reliable camera today.

I had several bug?s with the electronics in the past 20 years and now is seems that I can throw it away as the shutter locks.

However the R4 is small and very nice camera to work with it.

Make sure, that you do not pay too much and that the seals are renewed.

For the R4 alone I would not pay more than 150$ as troubles are programmed.

Eddie,

My question was not a personal attack or an accusation, but something that I struggle with when doing street photography. I think I am just too sensitive and empathetic. (feeling what another person feels) The have been 3 instances in the last couple of years where I was out with a camera when something happened that others would surely have photographed but I could not bring myself to do so. Two were pedestrian/car accidents (one a child, the other an elder) and another was a police arrest of an intoxicated teen and his girlfriend. It could well be that I am not cut out for this type of photography.

Ideally, when I photograph someone on the street, either they do not notice at all, or there is eye contact after the shot, and a nod showing respect and gratitude on my part for them allowing me their image. Obviously I do not do a lot of street photography, although I would like to. What kind of interaction occurs between you and your subjects after the shot is taken? They are looking at you during the shot, once you're finished, do you just turn away?

Frank ?V I don??t feel it is a personal attack at all. It is indeed a legitimate question to me (but your post did cause me to keep asking my wife whether I don??t have empathy this morning : >)

I have the same struggle too one or two years ago. It really goes away completely for about 1 year until I received your post yesterday. I am sure we are not talking about legal standard, which I am sure we are free to take and post such photos in public areas, as long as they are not defamatory.

We are talking about personal moral standard. Jim Marshall declared in his book that: ??when I take a photograph of my subjects ?V whether they know it or not ?V to me that is a covenant. There??s a trust given and trust received, and I will not allow that trust to be violated, or the pictures used in an improper manner.?? I admire his standard but I have to admit that, at present, this high standard does not apply to me. However, in the examples given by you, I also will not take photos of victims of pedestrian/car accidents. It is difficult to establish a standard applicable for everyone, and obviously you and me have a very different standard at present. For me, my standard has gone through serious changes in the last two years.

Replying to your questions, I am now quite certain that people are NOT as hostile to being taken a photo as you (or I originally) imagine. The more important thing to me now is rather you show them that you are doing it openly and quickly, acting in a manner that you know what you are doing and doing what you are entitled to do (and you are in fact entitled to). In this way, they will react normally (if they know) and just accept it - what is so special about a guy taking photo in the street in this digital cell phone camera age? The worst reaction come from (i) the photographer trying to take the photos secretly (and act in a suspicious way) but failed, or (ii) the photographer pointing a big camera at a person and focus and set aperture, etc. for too long. If they look at me when the photo is taken, my reaction depends on whether they are friendly. I will generally simile as if saying I find something interesting in them (which is absolutely true), and that sometimes earn me opportunities to take more photos. If, however, the look is not friendly, I will respect their wish and stop and walk away immediately, rather them further disturb them in any manner.<div>00Bd72-22537584.jpg.cde78679d6d077895cac5920569a8c86.jpg</div>