Any experience with Mamiya RZ67 & barrel lenses?

radoslav

If I understand correctly: You are asking about the use of non-Mamiya mount lenses on a RZ, right?

If the lens has a shutter, then I could see where you could put the RZ body on manual (like when one mounts up RB manual shutter'd lens) and trip the body, then the shutter of the lens. Focusing would have to be within the limits of what the RZ bellows could handle and/or offer extensions to allow the use of longer optics. But I have not see such a setup.

I would love to hear if someone makes a RZ lensboard that can take standard Copal shutters. Where to source them and what would such a thing cost?

Sorry for not being clear enough, guys. Yes David, my question relates to Mamiya barrel lenses and whether they are worth the money or not. Do you have any experience with it? I wanna buy a portrait lens and I'm considering two options : Mamiya 180mm f/4.5 Telephoto Short Barrel Lens and Mamiya 180mm f/4 Variable Soft Focus Lens. They have similar price as I would have to buy a spacer as well. I don't have a trust in soft focus feature of the first mentioned lens but I've never seen any photos made with this lens so maybe I would be surprised. On the other hand, somewhere in future, I'd like to buy the Shift Adapter so the barrel lens would make sense. Do you guys have any experience with the Shift Adapter together with the barrel lenses? Well, at the moment I just wanna buy a portrait lens and I don't know which one... Thanks for any help, Radoslav.

Get the regular lens and add a diffuser for soft focus if you need it (lots of filters already). I would only get the Short Barrel version if you plan to use the tilt shift. While there are some applications for it, I can't see too many telephoto shift needs. Wide-angle/normal shift makes sense for architectual photos.

--Jeffrey

I don't have any experience with either the soft focus or short barrel.

I have the 180 4.5, and would buy it again rather than one of the others.

What I do doesn't really call for tilt/shift.

I agree that you won't give up much with a 180 4.5 and a soft focus filter compared to a soft focus lens.