Rollei 6008 practicality

superia400_junkie

How practical is a Rollei for a wedding camera. It weighs more than

my F5 (yikes) but I like the fast lenses, ttl, and 6X6 format.

I'm up in the air between a D2X and MF. I'm not trying to rekindle

the debate, just to get an idea of which MF camera in preferably

6X6 and is practical for wedding work for speed, optics, and

quality.

The Rollei 6008 works very well for me, especially because of its handgrip and the fast loading film backs.

<p>

Beware though - if you'll use it as your only camera, making candids is quite tiring. Not only because of the weight, but also all the lens changing. Unless of course you will buy the 60-140 zoom lens.

<p>

So it certainly can be used handheld, and it is more than excellent for formals and the most important events of a wedding day. But a bit too much for the reception and all candid shots. That is why I use a 35mm SLR along with it.

<p>

You can find a short <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/webarticle03.htm">review of mine here.</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

Not to spark yet another digital debate, but I'd recommend the MF route as long as you

also keep your Nikons for candid work. It offers a true difference in image qualities (note I

said qualities NOT quality). This could also serve to separate you from the proliferating

digital pack... especially if you shoot some B&W.

Almost as important IMO, is that the work flow using MF and 5X5 proofs eliminates the

obligatory digital processing of endlessly redundant processionals, portraits, and formal

shots. These shots need to be of the highest quality, and require more attention when

processing digitally IMO. MF and film simplifies that process to dropping the film off at the

lab. It's the reason I returned to using MF for weddings myself.

My experience has been that even candids are possible with larger MF cameras, but they

tend to promote a more studied, and anticipatory type shooting style (which I like BTW).

However, using hyper-focal distance focusing, even action shots are possible outdoors

(I've shot my Hasselblad from a golf cart of a Bride and Groom careening down a path in a

cart behind me for example).

I think the Rollei 6X6 is more popular in Europe than the US, where Hasselblad seems to

hold more sway. Why that is I don't know, probably marketing. The camera is fabulous...

has motorized film transport built in, TTL pre-flash metering with both hand held and

studio strobes, includes 3 degree spot metering, and offers up to a 1/1000th leaf shutter

sync speed ... which is nice with those speedy lenses like the 80/2, 110/2 & 180/2.8.

Were I not into Hassey so deeply, I'd be shooting Rollei myself. The 6008AF would be

where I'd go. It is directly digital compatible, and Rollei offers a digital bundle with a 16

meg back that offers ISOs from 50 to 800 ... which is superior to the Hasselblad Imacon

offering. Which simply means Rollei doesn't preclude digital capture in future.

As an interesting side note, Rollei now offers it's own B&W Rollei branded film in 35mm

and 120 sizes, and developer for it. I don't know who makes it for them, but it obviously

makes sure there's film for the camera in future.<div>00BuSj-22973584.jpg.a67f13991541232c057b855777df1545.jpg</div>

Just curious if anyone has experienced the new Rollei films? Their web site write up makes

it sound like a miracle solution. Here's what they say ...

"The new Rollei R? film will be available in all sizes, from 35mm to 120 roll film and 8x10"

sheet film. Both professionals and discriminating amateurs will find it ideal for optimum

tonal control and images with perfectly rendered, subtle tones of gray.

Film speed is variable from ISO 25 to ISO 6400, allowing the material to be used in

practically any light. This is made possible by a multilayer design with cubic silver-halide

crystals of different size embedded in the various layers. Spectral sensitivity also covers a

wide range from orthochromatic to panchromatic right into the infrared.

Excellent resolution and contrast allow almost unlimited enlargement. The high resolving

power is due, among other things, to an antihalation layer directly under the emulsion.

Great importance has been given to high flatness and dimensional stability, which are

truly outstanding: ... "

Funny thing Marc, I was just wondering the exact same thing about the new Rollei film. The Junkie's question prompted me to check out Rollei's web site, and saw the film there.

If it's available at the major mail order houses I might pick up a roll or two to play with. Think it'll work in my Bronica, or do I need a fancy German camera? ;)

In kinda following Marc's lead we have returned to shooting weddings with the Bronica SQ. Although my second shooter (wife) still shoots digital, we have found the film and proofs have reduced the backend workload a lot.

Currently I also have my lab do 30mb long roll scans, and I have an Epson 4990 here if there is a digital need. Right mow I think this is the workload we are sticking with. We are also evaluating a Nikon F6 for the wife......that's another story.

Mark