Epson Papers - Matte vs. Enhanced Matte

Very little difference in actual use. The EEM is a bit heavier than HWM but you have to hold a sheet of each to tell the difference. And the D-Max on EEM is slightly better, but you need a side by side comparison again to tell.

I've used quite a bit of both and I still don't think if you handed me one print, I could tell you for sure which paper it was printed on.

Epson specifies that you use EEM in the more expensive printers and HWM in the less expensive models. But this comes from the same people who insist you must use genuine Epson ink.

Enhanced Matte is a ceramic, quick dry paper, which is best suited for pigment inks because the solvent is absorbed while the pigment remains on the surface. Because the surface area is very large on the absorbing particles, dye-based inks are more subject to gas (e.g., ozone) degradation than with more absorbant papers like Heavyweight Matte.

If you use a dye-based printer, use Heavy Weight Matte. If you use pigment printers, Enhanced Matte (formerly Archival Matte) is the way to go. From my experience the dye/matte and pigment/enhanced combinations look very similar.

I have not tried pigment/heavy weight matte, but the dye/enhanced combo was pretty bad, inconsistent and almost impossible or the to profile. All the images were low gamut and had a green cast.