Any problems with the EOS 350D

pjmeade

Hello all, I'm thinking of buying the new 350D/rebel XT, but I have

been told that there have been problems with the early models.

Problems reported have been things like they don't focus. I have read

lots of rave reviews, but what has it been like for the people who

have bought them, are you raving or ranting. Cheers. P

Prepare yourselves to be removed by men in white coats when you hear about banding noise at high ISO's, back focusing, front focusing, lockups, error99, noisey shutters, dead pixels, clipped highlights, price drops in 2 months, price drops of your 300d now it has been replaced etc etc. I'm tempted to trade my 20D for one just to get a chance to foam at the mouth on various forums.

I don't know where you picked up those rumours. The only focus problem I can think of is that the viewfinder is so tiny, you'd be hard put to it to ensure that manual focus is really on the subject you want to be in sharpest focus - but that's a problem with most of the small crop factor cameras. You'll find quite a few user opinions here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

canon 350D has one huge design flaw. it's not idiot-proof. hence the noise and focusing on 'problems'.

canon should rename one of its shooting modes into "dummy", that'd take care of 99% of complaints.

Usually only idiots buy newly released models, hence all the problems reported on

photogeek forums. Once The Kiss/Rebel/350D gets in the hands of mildly competent

photographers it will be smooth sailing all the way. Until then, expect to hear many

reports of dimwits getting fingers up their...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hi, new to this forum. I bought a 350D last weekend and shot 50 images with the kit lens (18-55) and with a 17-40L which I usually use on my 10D. I shot a variety of subjects from close by to distant. No problems with focus using either lens. Image quality excellent. The camera is small and unobstrusive. It feels rather plasticky compared with the 10D but that's OK for the price. It's quiet in operation. I also use RF cameras and my M6 is not much quieter. Some reviews have been critical of the arrangement of the function controls but quite frankly you just have to learn what to do. I haven't found it difficult moving from the 10D to the 350D. Provided it doesn't break down when I take it to Italy next week, I'm sure it will prove a very useful second camera.

I bought a 350D as an upgrade from a 300D. So far, I am very happy. The focus is faster

and more reliable, the writing to CF card is much faster, and startup is almost instant (vs 3

seconds on the 300D).

So far, the only issues seem to be size (I like it, but some people find it too small to fit in

their hands) and the controls.

I do agree that, for example, changing ISO is a step back from the 300D, as it requires too

many operations and also the ISO is not displayed in the viewfinder.

In short, the pictures are very good and the few remaining issues can easily be evaluated

by you if you try out one for a few minutes.

Best

John

• 3 months later...