travel (cycle) through Thailand: Mamiya 7/43mm or Nikon D70?

razvan frumosu

Hi,

I am planning to go to Thailand/Vietnam for more than 1 month this year. I will most likely

take my bike with me and take photos. Which camera would you choose? I have a Mamiya

7, Nikon D70 and a Ricoh GR1. Although I love the D70 (took it cycling over Romania) the

Mamiya's colours and slides are unbeatable...not to mention the new Velvia 100 film.

Looking forward to your responses...

Thanks

raz

I can't tell you what to take, but I can tell you that if you run out of 120 film in Vietnam, you will have a hard time finding more. I was there a little over a year ago, and when I ran out of 120 black and white, I spent several days in HCMC, the city most likely to have 120, before I found some old rolls of Fuji b/w. It's possible there are some pro shops I didn't know about, but I was sent from store to store for two days before locating the film.

I'll second the suggestion to take the GR1 - it's so small, there's almost no reason not to, and you'll be able to get some kind of 35mm film pretty much anywhere.

As far as the D70 is concerned, it really depends on how easy it will be for you to recharge batteries along the way. I would also consider backups; some way of getting a second copy of your shots. I know you could argue that with film you don't have a backup copy, but personally I trust exposed film more than I trust digital storage.

I would guess you probably have a zoom for the D70, and that's another factor to consider; will you find the 43mm for the Mamiya limits your options? Do you have other lenses for it that you will take?

Other things to think about:

What are your plans for the images?

Is this a once-in-a-lifetime trip?

Do you need big prints, or mainly up to 10x8 and web use?

Which camera are you more comfortable using, especially in a hurry?

For me, the flexibility of the D70 would probably win the day, with the GR1 as backup.

I still think that a MF plus a good quality PnS rocks. In your case, it depends whether you want any portraits, telephoto shots or whatever. The 43mm seems to be a bit restrictive, even if you crop. The GR 1 is also a wide angle.

My personal favourite would be a D70 and a Mamiya 7 (which is light). However, since you are using a bike, I would drop the D70, and bring the GR1 plus a 80mm.

Interesting...

In 1999 I cycled the US coast with a Nikon FM2. excellent camera. Last year I cycled

Romania with the D70 (12-24mm lens) - an even easier choice but somehow... lacked

something. I can't quite point out what it is but...it looks to sharp, too "clinical" almost. I

am tempted to take the M7 only with the 43mm lens only. I know what you're saying about

the restrictions but I find myslef

using a lot more of my brain if I only have one lens... (besides, I just sold my 150mm lens

as it was impossible to focus...)

Looking to hear more opinions... and many thanks to all that have contributed so far.

Raz

• 4 weeks later...

120-format films are difficult to find in my country Thailand, especially outside Bangkok. Most photo stores that used to stock 120 slide films now do not stock those films anymore. Finding 120 black and white films is almost impossible. Most photo labs do not know how to process 120 slide films. It may sound strange to people in First World countries, but finding digital labs in Southeast Asian countries is much easier than finding 120 films.

If you will be cycling not far from main roads and highways, you can easily recharge the batteries for D70 along the way in Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam (electricity voltage is 220V, not 110V). And do not be surprised to the number of internet stores and kiosks in these countries where you can upload digital images and do CD burning for backups.