Cleaning hoya filters

randy_kurtz

First of all, Hoya filters are not more difficult to clean than others. On the contratry, Hoya's coating clearly shows even one molecule thick layers of dirt on the filter you can miss with B&W or Heliopan. :-)

You can wash UV filter with whatever you use for your dishes. Rinse it with hot water. Don't do it with a polarizer though.

Miha

In general, I try canned compressed air first. I purchase mine out of the disposable electronic cleaning supplies section at Staples. Beware: it says right on the can "Not for cleaning camera mirrors". If you hold it a good foot or so away, it won't spittle on your glass.<p>If there's grease and not dust, I may gently use a microfiber cleaning cloth. They're washable, but I've found them cheap enough to just use and dispose of when they're dirty. I'd hate to wash them and find that I had some grit left in the fibers to scratch the optical surface.<p>If that's not enough, then I sometimes resort to the Lens Pen which is sold under various trade names. It has a side with graphite that allows getting rid of crud on the lens.<p>Only if it's really, really encrusted with garbage would I consider a lens cleaning paper and fluid. I use the Formula MC fluid recommended by another poster above. I use the laboratory Kimwipes instead of Kodak lens cleaning paper, which seems to behave very badly with the Hoya coatings. This may leave a bit of streak, but if you're patient and let the fluid fully evaporate, then it dries clear. Any residual streak can be touched up with the Lens Pen.<p>If you really insist upon washing them, then use distilled water for the final rinse. The one time I tried washing a multicoated filter, it left permanent water spots upon drying.

I use the Zeiss lens cleaner fluid. It is supposed to protect anti-reflective coatings. In addition to isopropanol, I believe it contains an extra "nanotechnology" ingredient. I should add that my filters tend to be Contax, B+W or Heliopan, rather than specifically Hoya.

Good Luck.