GR21 - is it a good 2nd travel camera

jsbc

Does anyone own a Ricoh GR-21? I own a GR-1v and I am quite

impressed with it. However, it is hardly used now that I have bought

a Tri-Elmar and a T3 (whose 35mm lens is more versatile).

My question is: would a GR21 make a great pairing with my M7? I

usually travel with the following lenses: a C/V 21mm F4, a Tri-

Elmar, a 35 Lux, and a 90mm. I find that I use the 28mm-50mm for 75%

of the shots, and a 21mm for the remaining 20%. However, it does

seem a pain to constantly switch lenses, and put-on / take-off the

viewfinder. So I am thinking, would a 21mm PnS make life a lot

easier for me? I don't want to carry another Leica body while

travelling.

P.S. It also seems to be that the 21mm would be a natural pairing

for the T3, or other digital PnS that I carry around, most of which

start with a 35mm angle of view. I don't mind a digital PnS, if the

quality is good and it covers 21mm.

Johnson,

I own a GR21 and it's a fantastic camera. It is extremely compact and with the magnesium body it's a tough cookie. The lens is terrific, though it does vignette a bit wide open to about f5.6.

The flash is pretty weak so I wouldn't get one if that is critical. Other than that it is a fantastic travel camera. If you can find one I am sure you'll enjoy it!

Kent

Great camera, with a lens that is better than the one on the GR1 imo; it's not as harsh and has less distortion. The shots from this camera mixed better with my Leica photos, than the GR1's pics did. Switching lenses is indeed a pain, and I worked at some point in time with this camera as 21-with-a-body-attached-for-free.

Thanks guys:

The other mysterious 5% is 75mm or 90mm.

I am simplifying my kit to a T3 (for the flash pictures), a Tri-Elmar, a 35mm Lux (this is one great lens) and a 21mm (either the CV or the GR21).

If the GR21 works as advertised, and the pictures are sharp (the vignetting until F5.6 is slightly disturbing, but how serious is it if one uses negatives?), then I can drop the Tri-Elmar eventually.

Someone also email me and suggest the Ricoh R1 which has 24mm Panorama mode. It is also much cheaper.

As for the CL recommendation, I actually have another M6TTL and Barnack cameras, but they are heavy or they have no metering.

A 2nd Leica body! Why use something different? You have some good lenses. You would have choice of different films or 'immediate' use of another lens. I own a Rollei-35. It never is used.If you are to add anything, maybe a cheap point and shoot digital..

Buy a used Leica 21 or a CV and use your Leica body. I had the GR 21 ans you never know when the shutter opens with all the noise. But, I sold mine for what I paid so the GR 21 is a very desirable camera. I would rather, simply, carry another lens as opposed to a dedicated wide angle camera.

Great links Vic.

I think I have pretty up made up my mind. Now I have to go hunt one down.

Why another PnS instead of using my CV lens? Well, just for the more rigourous trips where I may not have the hands to change lens (happened to me at Harbin where it was -25C); and also for the business trips where I can put a GR21 in one pocket and a T3 in the other.

Thanks guys.