totally confused

soumyadip_ghosh

Soumyadip, I had both the 70-300mm G and the Tamron 70-300mm LD with the 1:2 macro w/62mm cap. I found that I liked the Tamron much better. I kept the Nikon lens cap for the Tamron and sold the G!! Not that the G was all that bad either. I do agree with the above, they are all nearly the same. Just my 2 cents!

It would. But I would prefer not to make an already long lens any longer by adding an extension (to get to 1:2 from 1:4 at 300mm you have to add quite a bit of extension) UNLESS it was the PN-11, and Soumyadip may lose metering with the PN-11 -- see what I mean?

This is your 3rd or 4th post regarding these lenses. As I have already pointed out, they have their (limited) place. Don't worry about the "macro"feature or the extension tube (PN11 does not do anything special compared to other extension tubes, the tripod mount is useful. That is it) or converters.

Crappy will become crappier.

Soumyadip,

Using a 1.4x teleconverter with any of these lenses is going to lead to a serious degradation of image quality, in addition to a 1-stop loss of speed. As Lex pointed out in one of your other threads, any "super zoom" like this is already beset with serious optical compromises in order to make it work throughout a very wide zoom range. They tend to suffer from varying degrees of geometric distortion, propensity to flare, vignetting, softness in the corners, etc. A teleconverter is only going to make these problems worse.

On top of that, with the TC you've got a max fstop of 5.6 at the short end, and an abysmal f8 at the long end. Unless you are only shooting outdoors in very bright light, you are going to struggle to get usable shutter speeds. Ever tried to hand hold a 400+ mm lens, much less one with a max aperture of f8? I don't know what type of shooting you do, but it is just not going to be a practical solution for most shooters.

Make your own decision, but it's clear what the forum contributors have to say on this matter.

Like Arnab said, they are more or less the same. The Nikon has higher resale value if you think you will sell it later. If you shoot digital, I'd buy a used Nikon 180mm 2.8 instead. The "macro" designation is misleading -- while they focus closer than the Nikon equivalent, they are not really true macros lenses such as the Tamron 90mm ot the Nikon 105mm micro.

What Jon said, Soumyadip. You'll frequently be irritated with an inferior zoom and you'll never regret stretching your budget to accomodate a really good zoom.

Inferior zooms - which most superzooms tend to be - generally produce acceptable images only within a narrow "sweet spot" of focal range and aperture. A 70-300 zoom that might produce really good photos only between 150mm-200mm at f/8 to f/11 isn't a very useful tool. I'd rather carry a single fast prime of approximately the same focal length, like the excellent 180mm f/2.8 Nikkors.

"Macro" zooms are usually a ruse to lure in buyers who haven't seen the lens tests or talked with other photographers who've tried them. There are a few zooms with good close up capabilities within a truly useful focal range, but not many.

If it were my money and I absolutely had to have a telezoom, I'd get the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF Nikkor. If I had a little more money I'd go for the upgraded version of that lens. Fast lenses have many advantages: brighter viewfinders; the ability to use faster shutter speeds; less grainy film or less noisy digital ISO settings; better control over depth of field.

And faster, higher quality lenses tend to produce good images wide open while slower, economy lenses tend to be soft wide open. So you may not even get to use an f/4-5.6 lens at maximum aperture if you want sharp photos.

Sorry to make this all sound like gloom and doom but most of us who are advising you to get the best lens you can afford are doing so because we've already made the mistake of buying crappy lenses and want to save others the trouble.

Then that's all the recommendation anyone needs.

I had a Canon FD 100-300mm f/5.6 zoom with true continuous close focusing. It was a very good performer at all apertures throughout the entire focal range.

But it was slow and useful only in bright light or with fast film.

It's up to each photographer to decide which compromises he or she is willing to accept.