Bronzing -2200 Help !

Bronzing or gloss differential is caused by the pigments sitting on the surface of the paper. The paper surface is therefore obscured by pigments in some places more than others.

Two things. First, you could print on matte papers. Second, you could coat the finished print with a "fixative." Many people seem to like PrintShield spray lacquer, for example. There are dozens if not hundreds of products out there to help with this, so YMMV.

I love my 2200 but there's no real fix for bronzing unless you stop using Epson's pigments and use non-Epson inks/dyes such as Lyson...they're not as archival. Epson's pigments cause a dichroic effect (multi color under different lights, like a pearl) due to the fact that they are encapsulated in the plastic that makes them archival.

I don't find current sprays sufficiently effective to justify their use. All sprays can do is apply a filter layer that cuts out some of the spectra that produce the bronzing effect ....if someone would make a slightly warmer spray, rather than perfectly clear one, that might do the trick.

My current favorite 2200 paper is currently Moab Entrada Natural...archival, matte, beautiful. No bronzing at all, since it's matte.

When printing on Kokopelli Photo Gloss with my 2200 I find that all traces of bronzing and all but the faintest of traces of gloss differential disappear after using a gloss varnish - the surface is also protected and the dark tones deepen. I use at least two coats of Golden water-based gloss polymer varnish diluted 2+1 with distilled water and apply it with a roller. The first coat sometimes leaves traces of bronzing. It took me a bit of practice to get good results, but I'd rather do that than use a spray.

I tried the same with prints from the R800 on Epson Premium Glossy Photo and found that it is better to leave the gloss optimizer off if you are going to varnish.

Best, Helen

Stella,

I have been using 2200 for two years now. Bronzing was an issue, primerily with Epson papers, luster in particular. However, ever since I switched to Lexjet semimat, which has significantly reduced bronzing, and much better quality. Furthermore, I have incorporated the use of the coating spray "Lumijet". Now my prints are indestinguishable from conventional development and to take it further, I have up to date made 17 flush mount albums ranging from 5x7 to 11x14 printing everything at home with increadible success.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Greg

http://www.treasurethemoments.net