Gold Beach, Oregon

min_wong1

It's a great place, or was when I stayed there for field work 20 years ago. You can drive up/down the coast for some excellent beach shots (not as rocky as the northern Oregon Coast). You can drive up the Rogue River valley to the lower Rogue and Illnois Rivers. The road up the Illnois stops a few miles in but the road up the Rogue goes over the pass in to the Coquille River, a very scenic rural area, where you can drive inland or back to the coast. There is Humbug Mountain State Park north of Gold Beach with a campground and trails. There are several excellent books on the Oregon Coast highway and can be found search Amazon books Web site. Good luck.

There are lots of great locations to be found just by driving up and down the coast from Gold Beach, with many obvious viewpoints. There are many state parks along the coast highway, some offering viewpoints, some offering access to the beach, and some having trails for hiking.

The Rogue River, which empties into the ocean at Gold Beach, is very scenic. You can travel part way up the Rogue Valley by car, or you can travel about 50 miles upstream by jet boat, with several jet boat tours leaving from Gold Beach daily. The jet boat ride often affords opportunities to see wildlife, but be aware that you and you camera may get a little wet.

There are a couple lighthouses along the coast that are not too far from Gold Beach by car (do a search on Oregon lighthouses) that offer some nice photo opportunities. The Cape Blanco lighthouse sometimes allows visitors inside.

The photo opportunities will depend upon the weather, with different possiblities depending on whether you have sun or rain or fog, but all can be interesting. Late afternoon until sunset is the time most likely to have dramatic lighting.

I've photographed round there a couple of times, the last only in September. I prefer the area south of Gold Beach and if you get a book called ( prosaically enough) The Oregon Coastal Access Guide by Kenn Oberrecht you'll be set to see some wonderful coastal scenery between Gold Beach and Brookings. Highlights to me include the Pistol River shore and Harris Beach, but there are others.

If you really want to see some unbelievable scenery, reserve a cabin at Half Moon (no road

access) and take one of Jerry's jet boats up the Rogue to stay there. They have

fantastic food. The only other ways to get there are to hike or fly. There are a lot of bears

in the area, and the eucalyptus trees impart a great fragrance to the area.

That's one of the most remote areas in Oregon.

Gold Beach itself is pretty typical of other tourist trap towns on the coast. If you can, rent

a car and drive north to see the giant sand dunes on the coast between Bandon and

Florence.

Being nearer to the middle of Oregon than the southern part I haven't shot that much around Gold Beach. There was a wonderful old abandoned ship in the small harbor at Gold Beach but it was a little hard to set it up for a shot. My jet boat, and float raft trips on the Rogue haven't been the most productive but most likely because of the weather. You might be a little early for the wildflowers yet we have had a very mild winter and things are coming up early. Be prepared for macro shots as well as gray days and rain. There could be a lot of places I have forgotten so go to my website and check under "photo opps" and see what there is.

http://www.ordata.com/~lmforbes