lenshood teat-locks

jtk

I've got a couple of lens hoods for 55mm-size lenses...the gummy

little teat lock-things have contracted with age...maybe

outgassed...the hoods aren't as secure as they once were and I'm

afraid I'll lose one when I'm not looking...

One of these hoods is plastic and can't be dismantled...though I've

been able to press against these teats with the end of a paper clip

and make em' bulge up a little more. May not last for long.

The other hood is metal, can be taken apart. The teat things are in

worse shape however, crumbling.

Any solutions out there?

I may try to cast some silicon bathtub calk in-place, letting it

harden before trying to fit it on the lens.

Black ice hockey? Hm. Diversity.

The Canon FD Yahoo group detailed that plastic insert suggestion...thank you...I'll give it a try. I think contact cement will be the proper glue for the plastic hood and coffee-can lid material...it's often good for adhering slick plastics.

A possibility for ya on 55-size shades-remove the glass from junk 55 filters (or use an actual filter) and screw it on. Now you can attach the cheap and plentiful rectangular Konica clip-on shades. The 24-28 is very plentiful, the 35-50 will require some time on the auction site. These don't reverse on the lens for easy carry, are heavier, and take up space in your bag, BUT, they seem to do an excellent job. Hama, a German company, makes a rectangular shade in 55 size, available at B&H. You'll need the filter or an empty ring to attach it.

Mr. Ratliff, I appreciate your point...

If there are black people in this Forum who are offended or irritated, I do apologize.

Sensitive whites, however, are in no position to object to my admittedly-edgy racial comment if they have minorities in their community and do not regularly deal with them directly on a social, non-business basis. I certainly do.

Doug, thanks... I do find the reversal feature ultra-important...an alternative is a rubber lens hood...they collapses nicely and do protect a lens physically. Unfortunately I've not seen one that's narrow enough for good service on 50MM, much less 100MM (100 2.8 is my favorite lens).