Advice on FE2 vs. FM2n

darla_love

Hello all,

Even while I�m considering the Nikon D80 as my inevitable slide into the dark

realm, I�m considering a return to nostalgic days by buying a vintage film

body as well.

I presently use both F4s and F5 for 35mm and Hasselblad for medium format.

I�ve been vacillating between the Nikon FE2 and FM2n (the FM3A is both scarce

and pricey). Aside from a chrome body (ah, nostalgia!), I�m open to any

opinions for either of these two. I don�t think either will get much work, but

I�d like something that will be reliable for a goodly long time.

Thanks for your guidance.

Darla

<I>between the Nikon FE2 and FM2n</I><P>

Back in the 1980s, I was trying to decide between the then current FE2 and FM2. Ultimately, I got both.<P>

The FE2 came first, and was a very fine camera. I bought two in 1985, and today both are still in use. I have had absolutely zero problems, and I mean zero problems in all of that time. These cameras have been in steamy jungles, frozen tundras and baking deserts, and they just keep working.<P>

The FM2 has also been flawless. The big selling point was the total lack of battery dependancy, and many photographers had an FM2 in the bag when Nikons started to go electric (after the classic F and F2 years). My FM2 has been like an insurance policy for my F3 and FE2, but in reality, those cameras mostly kept on shooting. so the FM2 as a back-up was more threory than realize advantage. Many times the FM2 was my only camera, and it worked perfectly every time.<P>

The bottom line is that you can't make a wrong choice based on the cameras themselves. The deciding factor might be, <I>"how do you shoot now?"</I> If you are on some automatic exposure mode most of the time with the F4 and F5s, the FE2 might be a better transition for that once in a while shooting. If you can do the f-stop and shutter setting for every frame and like to take frequent readings, the FM2 is nice. Be aware, the FE2 can also be used as a manual exposure camera, but that addition of the aperture priority can make it more versital in some situations.<P>

<I>(the FM3A is both scarce and pricey).</I><P>

Fresh batteries in an FE2 gives you 90% of an FM3a in my opinion.

I went from FE to a new FM3a about 3 years ago, before digital was a viable option. I then

wanted a second body and spent a lot of time deciding between FE2 and FM2. I eventally

settled on the FM because:

1. I intend to use it for quite few years and was unsure about how long the FE2 electronics

will last as most of the cameras I looked at were about 15-20 years old.

2. The apperture priority loss was not serious as the FM2 compliments my FM3

3. The FMs were in beter condition than the FEs and both were about the same prices.

Dissadvantages of the FM over the FE2 are:

1. No TTL flash. It's not the end of the world, but an issue.

2. Exposure indication is not as good (my opinion - others dissagree, its a personal thing)

To get more advice, you need to address the following:

1. Will you be getting rid of your F4 and F5 in part-exchange for a DSL? If so, then think

seriously about a good condition F3HP. I personally have problems with the slow flash

sync.

2. Will you be using the FM2/FE2 as a backup, or for when you "want to do something

different"? If backup. then the FE2 would be better as you may need the TTL and AP. If you

want to be 'creative' then the FM2n as it makes you think more.

3. Are yo sure you really want a film camera as well as digital? My experience with other

photographers has been that once they made the change and go into thinking/

manipulation digital, then never used there film gear again. If you want a second camera,

go for a small digital.

As far as lenses and accessories are concerned, there in nothing between them, other than

flash.

Hope all the above help you to make up your mind.

Andy B

Much is made of the 'fully functional despite dead battery' facet of the FM family. Great if one's inhospitable environment or forgetful memory (spare batteries?) requires it. When speed is of the essence I'm happy to call on Aperture Priority, TTL flash and Exposure Lock of the FE2. Signed...proud owner of FE2, FM and 3A.

In a near perfect world, the FM3a would be plentiful and affordable for everyone who wants one. Sadly, this is not the case. As such, I strike my vote for the FE2 for the same reasons Lily outline. Remember though to budget for a CLA and foam replacements to ensure another 30 years of use. Get a black one -- they look sexier. Cheers.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

By the way Robert, I did do a search both here and on various other sites � that�s how I settled on these choices. My reason for a new post was due to the fact that this isn�t my first manual camera (both my Nikons are admirable in full manual mode, the Hassy is nothing but), but a nice little supplement to the other equipment. It�s a bit different question than I found going through history.

Now I have to resist the temptation to get both!

Darla

I'd look hard at an F3(HP). They're sweet and embody the real essence of what MF Nikon life is about. Aside from a goofy flash mount and Pleistocene TTL flash metering, they're tough, handsome and able to use old-school non-AI lenses. Factor in interchangeable screens and a raft of weird accessories(It is an F camera) and you're hard put to reject one. They were in production for almost 22 years. Somebody loved 'em--a lot.

<em>Im open to any opinions for either of these

two. --Darla Love<br>

</em><br>

Darla, <br>

<br>

At todays prices do you need to chose? I recommend that you

buy both. <br>

<br>

I prefer the FM2n when using fast prime lenses in low light where

I will not be using flash. I particularly like the red LED +0-

meter display at night compared to the FE2s invisible

needle. <br>

<br>

If Im going to use flash or shooting in daylight I prefer

the FE2. In daylight the FE2s needle and flag meter display

is easy to use and exposure compensation is easy to achieve

without messing with the exposure compensation dial. <br>

<br>

When using flash with the FE2 you get standard TTL flash with any

Nikon SB-24, 25, 26, 28 and with the SB-800 (or 600). This means

the speedlight you buy for your DSLR will work great with the FE2.

If but only if you buy an SB-800 it will work with the FM2n also.

The SB-600 lacks an electronic eye on the face so it lacks Auto

Flash for non-TTL Flash cameras like the FM2n and F2As. The SB-800

offers Auto Flash for these and others.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

They are both nice. I would just look around and buy which ever one you can find in real good shape and at a fair price. You will have a great time with either model. Look into who can service it for you and the cost. This may help you decide and it will also ensure that the camera will perform up to par...Nolan

Having owned an FE2 for 13 years, and an FM2n for 4 years, and now a current owner of an F3HP, I would recommend the F3 over the others. Unless you want to shoot TTL flash, then the FE2 is the one. The F3, or F3HP if you wear glasses, is a true classic and well worth the slightly higher price over the other two. The build quality is magnificent and the body is a Pro model so it is going to out last the others. I sold my FE2 in June, 2000 when I bought a Nikon N70 body to shoot with AF lenses. I felt that after 13 years (I got it new in 1987 as a graduation gift) it was getting on in age and I was worried about the needle movement wearing out. It never did of course, but the N70 really served me well until I got an F100, and now that is gone too for my D70s and F3HP.

When people see me shooting with the D70s and F3HP around my neck they figure I must be a pro. They work well together though last weekend I left the F3 at home and shot more than 400 photos with the D70s.

You'll love the F3.

Dave

• 5 years later...
<p>Interestingly enough I use my FM2N the most and my F3/T as the back up. In daylight or darkness I can see those ruby red LED's just fine. In darkness it's is a bit of a challenge to see the display on the F3. Never mind that illumination button on the side of the viewfinder (what a waste). The FM & FE series cameras have always beeen great. Like someone suggested, get both...</p>