Moose and a backpack

jeff_rose1

Hello Folks,

I have a two part question

1, I am looking for a backpack to handle a D200, 12-24, 35-70, 105 micro, 70-200

VR and a Bronica 6x6 with an 80mm lens, one flash, one light meter, a few

filters, 6x6 film and a small video mini DV recorder. I use a Bogan 3221 tripod

and if the back pack carried that that is good!

The backpack will be used for hiking the presidenial range of the White

Mountains in New Hampshire.

I will be flying to and from New England and would like to carry the backpack

with above gear on board with me.

Is there such a backpack which would satify the above criteria?

2, I would love to see some Moose and was wondering if anyone new of a place

where I may get a good oportunity to observe moose? I will be in the White

Mountains for five days during peak foliage time? I am not apposed to traveling

up to 200 miles to find these Moose if the odds increased that I would find one.

Where does one find Moose in New England in early October?

Thanks in Advance

Jeff...

Not a direct answer but maybe this will help. I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 and carry much of what you carry: 30D, 12-24, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 F4, Sigma 150 Macro, 85 1.8, Angle finder. I'm full in the main compartment with that. Batteries and CF cards go in the wing pouches. Filters and an MR14ex go in the outside pouch. I could replace the MR with a 550ex. There would likely be a little room left here and there but it would be nearly full at this point. I think the Bronica breaks the bank unless you put the camera back in the bag with a short lens and then face the digital and lens with the Bronica. But think about that - if you are shooting with the 70-200 in a series, you'd have to dismount it each time you packed away unless you carried it on the tripod. Major pain for me. You need a little larger than the 5.

Your gear would fit in a LowePro Photo Trekker or a Computrekker Plus (along with a laptop). The Computrekker also has a better tripod carrier - the tripod is carried much lower so that it swings around less. Either will just fit the size requirements for carry-on. You can carry the laptop in a computer bag (recommended) as a "personal item". Check the tripod in baggage, but keep the head in your carry-on.

That's a lot of gear to carry. If your hikes are more than a half-day round trip, you need something to eat and extra clothes (you can get dangerous storms there nearly any time of year).

D200 + Bronica 6x6 + DV Cam? I'd recommend you lighten up a bit. The D200 will do as well as the Bronica up to 16x24 inches. Your choice of lenses is OK, but I'd substitute a 17-35 for the 12-24 if you have a choice - not a big deal, though. I have a problem combining still photography with a DV Cam. Movies take 100% of your hands and mind. You can't just "snap" and keep walking. Decide what you need to do and stick with it.

I fish in northern NH every year in early June. I always(every year and every day) see moose along the roadside. It is more rare but I have also seen them in small ponds. The time to view "road" moose is dusk into early evening. I have never not seen moose in the evening between 1st and 3rd Connecticut Lakes north of Pittsburg, NH. You would also stand a good chance of seeing moose between Erol, NH and Rangely, ME on Rt 16. DISCLAIMER: I am not sure if their grazing habits change in the fall. In the spring they graze on the tender shoots in the marshy areas along the roadside.

Assuming you will be in the vicinity of Pinkham Notch both of the options are quite a drive. Especially in leaf peeper season. I suggest you contact a photo or backpacking store in Conway for closer options. You also might try the AMC center at Pinkham Notch.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

pat

This may be somewhat OT but someone mentioned weather in the

White Mountains. Take the warning seriously.

Mt. Washington & vicinity (I think it tops out at 2KM - not that high)

has some of the worst weather in the US - and that includes Alaska.

Temperatures can drop 50 degrees in a matter of minutes,

there are very high winds, and something called "freezing fog"

(a phenomenon I unhappily experienced). And yes, there can

be blizzard conditions in late summer/early fall.

But it is beautiful, and anyway, you'll probably find moose lower down

rather than upper up.

I bought a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II. For clothes and food etc, it came with a daypack that will attach to the bag. I'm not sure if it is big enuff for your equipment. The tripod attaches nicely to the outside of the main bag also. I had intended to use it for travel but didn't realize how big it is. I know it will not fit in some overhead compartments so I decided not to risk being forced to check it and have never brought it on a flight. I ended up also buying a Lowepro Slingshot 200 which is an ideal travel bag for me even tho I have to cut down on some equipment.

You might want to check at Pinkham and see whether they will accept your gear from UPS

or FedEx. I doubt the airlines will permit you to carry any of that on board, and you may

not want to put it down under since the TSA does not bond their baggage handlers, so you

stand a reasonable chance of arriving without your luggage, or without most of that gear

in it.

If you are not acquainted with the Appalachian Mountain Club and its guides to the White

Mountains of New Hampshire and its hut system, I strongly recommend you look into

them. I believe their web site is http://www.outdoors.com but it that doens't work just

Google them.

They have online discussion boards on their site and you can get up to the minute

weather, trail and wildlife info from them, as well as some info from Pinkham.

Having climbed half the 4000 footers in my younger days, including about 60% of the AT

through the Whites, I would strongly recommend that you be in top condition. Elevation

gain is substantial and steep in those mountains and as someone has already mentioned

the weather is capable of considerable damage. In fact, if your goal is to do the

Preisdentials from Franconia to Pinkham in five days and shoot as well, I suggest you pick

one or the other. Just going up Ike at that time of year with a camera would take me a

whole day and most of it would be spent below tree line, especially if I wanted to go the

scenic route along the Webster cliffs instead of the direct route up the Crawford Path from

Crawford Notch.

Wherever you're coming from, if you don't prepare yourself with the AMC's White Mountain

Guide and lots of time online seeing more or less what the place looks like, you may find

your plans too ambitious for both hiking and shooting.

Here's a shot from a week I spent on a small pond at 2000 feet elevation. I spent a week

there a couple years ago. I was never at a lack for things to shoot within a half mile of the

pond.<div>00Ho69-31969884.jpg.24eeec91563f66dd3f03aef09f8b168b.jpg</div>

Thanks for the responses folks, I value the experience you provide. Has anyone taken a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II on a plane recently?

Thanks for the moose tips Patrick!

Is there anyone else out there in New England with Moose (photo) shooting experience?

As far as your legal carry-on needs go..The ThinkTank Airport Security bag is, I feel, the best thing going for air travel. It will swallow up seemingly endless amounts of equipment, and makes the inevitable hand-inspection go smoothly too.

The problem is, you cant CARRY it on your back for more than a few hundred yards before you are in severe pain.

Your equipment list calls for a fairly large bag..especially (as others mentioned) because you will also need room for other additional items for your journey. I would suggest the Lowepro SuperTrekker AWII.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Super_Trekker_AW_II.aspx

Unless its just too big for you to travel through airports with, I guarantee you will never be short of room for your equipment and personal items. On a recent trip to Alaska, I used my ThinkTank bag to travel on the plane with, and I packed my SuperTrekker in my large checked bag, along with my Gitzo tripod. I stuffed the lowepro bag with my clothing and other items in order to utilize the space as best I could. Then, as soon as I got to my hotel, I emptied my Trekker and filled it with everything from my Carry-on bag, my tri-pod, plus clothing, food, firstaid kit, and various other supplies... and I was good to go !

If you could lighten your load a bit, I would suggest the Tamrac Expedition 7 or 8, They are nice, high quality packs that are easy to use and comfortable to carry for several days.

BTW...Both brands will carry a decent-sized tripod with no problems.

Good luck!

Jeff,

Not sure of your hiking abilities or preferences, but for a significant day hike in the White Mountains I think the 12-24 on your pack belt and the 70-200 in a chest pack would be plenty to carry. As others have noted, the hiking there is intense and especially at that time of the year extra clothes and gear are required for safety when going above timberline. When I go there after the huts are closed, I like to take long day hikes with rest days inserted as dictated by the weather. I often only carry a 24-120 zoom and either a carbon fiber tripod or an attachment for a trekking pole. In October the days are short so you need to start early if you are attempting anything significant.

For moose and a nice drive check out a highway map and head to Errol NH via Grafton Notch State Park returning to the Jackson / North Conway area via route 16. Grafton Notch is an interesting area with unusual waterfalls. Within the White Mountains I have seen several moose between Bretton woods and Crawford notch, but these have always been along the road near nightfall and not of much interest for photography. I have never had much luck seeing moose when seeking them; for me they always show up unexpectedly. I think the fall is not the best time for sure sightings, but maybe I have just been unlucky.

Good Luck!