basically, i'm confused because the canon has the gold contacts for

communicating with the lens, but with this adaptor, the camera wont

read anything - wouldnt this cause an error in the camera? how can

metering be done?

anybody else use this nikon lens to eos body adaptor with success, or

not?

thanks, eric

Eric

I've used Leica lenses on several Canon digital SLR bodies - 300D, 20D and 5D. The Leica-EOS adaptor functions in the same way as the Nikon one.

What you lose is AF/focus confirmation and you have to stop down the lens manually - the auto-diaphram doesn't work. Other than that they work fine and allow automatic or aperture priority metering.

There are issues with a few lenses that have a recessed back element, but other lense work ok.

Since metering is done in-camera, the camera doesn't need to know anything about the lens. Turn your camera on with a lens, and it'll meter.

I have 2 non-EF lenses on my Canon equipment, and I have no problem with them. Admittedly they are "toy" lenses, not serious ones, so they don't see much action.

AF lens and MF lens (adapters) has a small difference in the mount. There is a micro switch in the camera lens mount to detect if an AF lens in attached or not. This is also why you can't not use MF lens on AF teleconverters or extension rings. If the camara see a MF lens, it will not look for lens info and just use good old center weighted average metering. This is why with MF lens you will need to look at the histogram a bit more closely.

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

The camera doesn't need to "see" a lens attached as long as the microswitch on the mount isn't tripped.

The only situation where you will run into problems is if you try to use a Canon TC. The TC will trip the switch on the camera that says "an EOS EF series lens is attached" and the connections will be made to the TC. The camera will then look for a lens, but if you have an adapted MF lens attached to the other side of the TC (or no lens at all), it won't find one and it will report an error condition.