Please post your portraits taken with a Summar

paul_n2

Paul,

Mine is crazier looking than Ka-Ho's pics...perhaps mine has more cleaning marks or he

isn't shooting it wide open (it looks a bit normal @ f8 and above).

I don't have any scans to show, but talk about your "Leica Glow" (also known as flare). I

have the Hood for mine which is IMPORTANT.

I have actually thought about selling it...let me know if you are interested (I have way too

many lenses). It would be cheap....like $175.

jmp

Just back from Dwayne's (via Kodak). Kodachrome 200, overexposed, fixed somewhat in scanning. (Don't blame the washed-out skin tone on the lens! Blame on my Gossen Luni-Pro which clearly needs calibration, evidenced by the second overexposed roll of slides.)

I think this was taken wide open, or just one stop down, where the lens is certainly not "high resolution". (It takes 3 stops to sharpen up this lens, and eliminate the vignetting.) At full resolution, you can't see individual hairs, but do I blame that on the lens, or the grain of Kodachrome 200?

I think that that out-of-focus areas on this Summar are more well-behaved in color than my Summitar. Yes, there is some double-imaging of the branches at certain distances, but it's otherwise nice.

With the Summitar, the out-of-focus areas have a radial smear in circles around the center of the image. This isn't a problem with the Summitar in B&W, it's just noticeable in color.

This Summar is a very nice specimen, just a very few fine cleaning marks. I cleaned out the haze, which was all in the front cell, and re-did the black paint on the edge of the front group. (The rear group is still flaking black paint, so this lens isn't 100% yet.) Looks crystal clear when you look through it. This lens has not struck me as flare-prone, I've taken shots with quite bright light sources in them, and not had trouble.<div>00BHNg-22038684.thumb.jpg.2a8349b8ca7462bd9212aaae30935158.jpg</div>