question about flash photography with a toyo

matthew_barton

Hi, Ive been looking into buying a large format camera and I have my eyes set

on the Toyo 45aII. My question is, am I able to use my Alien Bees flash

strobes with a field camera? If so, what equipment do I need to purchase to

be able to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need a lens that has a shutter equipped with X sync, and the appropriate cord to connect the shutter to the lights.

<p>

For many decades, almost all lenses have been mounted in shutters that have X sync. The vast majority of these shutters have a standard PC socket. If yours is one of these, you just need a cord that has a PC plug on one end, with the other end containing whatever fitting is needed by your Alien Bees.

If I might piggyback a question to Matthew's, my copal 1 shutter doesn't seem to have a seperate X-synch setting - just a red X imprinted near the PC socket. Does that mean it'll automatically synch at all speeds when a flash is connected?

As for coverage, I need to take the GN for the proper angle of view, right? So use the 50mm setting for a 150mm lens? Well that would give me about 6 feet at f16 with a SB-28. Just enough to squeeze by on fill, perhaps.

-A

Anupam, yes if your Copal #1 has a flash terminal and no X-M switch then it will sync with an electronic flash at all speeds. Since pops are even less expensive than film, you could easily ask the shutter what it does.

Hmm. You're a grad student. Powerless. And that goes for your flashes too. More incentive to finish your degree and get on with your life. There are more powerful portable flashes around for not too much money.

Cheers,

Dan

To answer your question: Yes, your alien bees will work with large format. All you will need is proper connectors or adapters.

Another question was raised about whether the alien bees would be powerful enough: The aperture you use to get a proper exposure is determined by the film speed and the amount of light. Film format doesn't come into play. f/11 in 35mm is the exact same as f/11 in large format.

While the alien bees might not be sufficient for one doesn't mean that they won't be sufficient for everyone. You may find them to be perfectly acceptable for what you are doing.

<i>Another question was raised about whether the alien bees would be powerful enough: The aperture you use to get a proper exposure is determined by the film speed and the amount of light. Film format doesn't come into play. f/11 in 35mm is the exact same as f/11 in large format. </i><p>

An F is an F for purposes of exposure, but DOF is a major concern of much LF work, so it's not the same situation. The OP didn't mention what kind of work he's going to be doing. The Bees might be great with 35mm at F8. Won't cut it for most LF work.

Matthew,

Your Alien Bees will be fine with your Toyo 45aII. The type of camera (monorail or field

camera) has nothing to do with whether your flash will work with it or not.

The important thing is what shutter you're using with your lens elements. Copal shutters

will work fine. And, of course, what Dan stated is absolutely correct.

With regards to the output of your Alien Bees... yes, it is true that, often times, you'll be

working with smaller apertures. However, this isn't an issue if you're willing to do multiple

pops. And, get yourself a meter such as the Minolta Flashmeter III, a Sekonic 508, etc.

The use of multiple pops to get the correct exposure will entail that your camera is stable,

stable, stable. But, it also means that your flash unit will work fine!

I'd suggest you get yourself a good book on flash photography and proceed from there! :)

Good luck.

Cheers

<i>The use of multiple pops to get the correct exposure will entail that your camera is stable, stable, stable. But, it also means that your flash unit will work fine! </i><p>

And of course, there's subject movement but perhaps he does still lifes, or maybe he can build steel braces to hold people still. I rather like the translucent eyelid look (what happens with long people exposures.)

<p>

Multiple pops? To add four stops, he will have to pop 16 times. Three stops, 9 times. Rather painfull. :)

I've used my Alien Bee 400's with my LF setup. In general they will work ok for light fill duty outside or for perhaps getting f/16 in a tighter indoor portrait setting. I purchased the 400 series since they were mainly to use with a DSLR, and I didn't need to use too much power. Otherwise, I would have gotten the 1600 series or more.

Give it a try, they actually do work. Plugs right in to all your copal lenses.

Pico diGoliardi , sep 01, 2006; 07:54 a.m.

The use of multiple pops to get the correct exposure will entail that your camera is stable,

stable, stable. But, it also means that your flash unit will work fine!

And of course, there's subject movement but perhaps he does still lifes, or maybe he can

build steel braces to hold people still. I rather like the translucent eyelid look (what

happens with long people exposures.)

Multiple pops? To add four stops, he will have to pop 16 times. Three stops, 9 times.

Rather painfull. :)

Hi Pico,

Absolutely... it IS a pita! No doubt about it but it means he can still use his Alien Bees with

his LF gear. I'm simply answering the question he asked. :)

With still life subjects... no problems. Even with my Balcar 3200s... I've had to resort to this

on occasion. :(

But, the outcome was perfect! :)

With human subjects... yup, I'm sure it's a definite challenge! Can't argue with you there

because that's not a subject matter I photograph. :)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...