Connecting EOS 1Ds Mark II to computer via firewire

bob_williams6

Hello,

I have a 1Ds and I recently purchased the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E1A. I have not

been about to get it to work yet (not tech savy enough). It just seems to me that using it

mayl be more difficult that I imagined. I would be using it mostly in the studio. It seems

to me that perhaps I should just return the WFT and just teather the camera using a

firewire cable. My last DSLR (Nikon D1) was a disaster when trying to connect via firewire.

It worked when it wanted to therefore it made sense not to use the firewire cable. I have a

Leif digital camera back that works only when connected to the computer via SCSI and it

works great. I am hoping that my Canon would not have any connection issues so......

I would be connecting to an Apple G5 dual 2Ghz....

Has anyone used a firewire cable to transfer files in the studio? Is it reliable? Does it

connect easily? Has anyone tried to use a long cable like a 50' firewire?

As always, thanks

Bob

Connecting a firwire cable from camera to computor is a snap and it works great. The only trouble I've come across is the cable sometimes wants to unplug. (I think it should have been a threaded connection) Then again so does the sync cord and thats been a problem since they invented it.....anyway. Using the firewire cable is a no brainer...

Thanks I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I agree that they should make the firewire plug

threaded. I'll try to make some kind of gaffing tape rig that helps to secure it to the

camera when in use. I really want to find a way to make the files come up automaticly in

photoshop after they have been taken. There must be a way with applescript. I am used

to using studio backs such as the Leif DCB... after taking a shot the image is right there

ready in front of you - no need to open. When taking high volume shots in a studio every

step that can be eliminated can save dozens of hours per year and make the process

more enjoyable. Is there any easy way to do this that you are aware of? Does the Canon

software allow this? (they would open in the canon software rather than photoshop but

that would still be good)

Take Care - Bob

Sorry guys - I kind of feel like a fool. I now can answer my own questions. I have had the

camera for a few weeks and have not had the time to really work with it yet. I just tried

the software that comes with the camera and it works great. I was kind of jaded from the

experience I had with the D1. I will return the WFT. It is much easier to control the

camera via firewire that it would be to have the files sent over wireless without having

control of the camera from the computer. The Canon software is perfect. It does

everything that I would want it to other than no shortcut key for file delete - software

writers come on! I will use the EOS just like my other studio Cam (Leaf) - right from the

computer.

Bob, if you really want the <big>best</big> program for working with the canon 1ds you should look here (www.phaseone.com) and use the "Capture One Pro software" It is the <big>best</big>. It is a fantastic program. Good luck to you.

Earl - thanks for the tip. What are the advantages that the Phase One Capture has over the

Canon Capture? I have not worked much with the Canon software (just started with it last

night) it seemed to do just about everything that I could want however if the Phase One is

better I'll go ahead and order it now rather than having to change my workflow later.

Phase One makes great stuff that is all high end. I imagine that it is probably smarter

software - things like no shortcut key for file delete would not happen- just a guess. Is it

faster? More reliable? More features? Do you know the cost? I'll be checking it out and if

I get it I'll post my opinion. thanks again - Bob

One more thing - the firewire cable that goes from the camera to the computer - it is a 6

pin to 4 pin... right? I need to order some longer ones - 15' and 30'. Is there any place

that you know of that makes a heave duty cable with nice flexibiliy?

thanks - Bob

Bob, you can download the software for free for a 30 day trial at their site. I recommend it.<p>

<u>The cable</u>: have only used the one that came with the camera and it's a straight (standard) firewire to firewire.....both ends are the same.</p>