What Are the Differernces Between Various Sinar F Models?

mark_rossano

I'm hoping that one of you would be kind enough to describe the

functional and cosmetic differences between the Sinar F, F1 and F2

models. I've never used Sinar brand view cameras and I haven't

found a concise summary of this sort after some amount of searching

for the information.

Thanks for your help.

i dont want to be dismissive but if you go to google and just type in sinar f f1 f2 ...then quite a lot of stuff comes up about the various differences between each model.

personally i would get the f2 since its easily available, pretty new and is a great camera to lug around on location for the money/flexibility/weight factors.

Thanks for the recommendation. I must add that my question was probably not focused sufficiently. I did, in fact do a Google search prior to my post, using that exact search string. Some useful information came up amidst the dozens of eBay search results.

Having said all that, I'll rephrase myself (more verbosely) with the questions that Sinar's product literature online and a few discussion group threads didn't answer.

Is there any difference between the rear standard on the F and the F2 other than minor cosmetics and the F2's use of separate locks for swing and shift?

Are there any particular problems in terms of reliability or durability for any of these models, or specific components used?

I already have a Sinar Norma that I like for travel/outdoors because of its light weight and generally sturdy design. There are times, however, that the larger range of some of the movements and yaw-free design of a newer model would be advantageous. Since most of the parts for the F-series are compatible with what I already have, I was considering buying only the front and rear standards (I already have a modern Sinar 4x5 back) and using my existing bellows and rails. I've seen F standards on eBay pretty regularly, but being new to the system, I'm not confident that I can shop intelligently without some advice.

There it is in a coconut shell.

The differences as far as I know in the various "f" models:

The original "f" had a "low profile" tripod block. The "f+" replaced this with the same rail suport as used by the "P". The front standard for the f and f+ is the multipurpose standard that is designed to drop onto the rail and latch from underneath. This arrangement provides only coarse focus, and as some have noted, is the source of most criticism for these cameras. While I have never broken one, some people have experinced problems with the standard.

The f and f+ use a pointer on the left side of the rear standard for the "two point focus" swing/tilt calculator. The coarse focus locks are relatively small knobs on the under side of the standard. The rise/fall locks are similalry small and on the right-hand side of the standard. The swing and shift are controlled by the same lock, so you have to be careful when using both adjustments.

The f1 repaced the pointer calculator with a rotating dial, which is more convenient. It also has larger locking knobs for the fine focus and a large knob that is concentric with the fine focus for the rise/fall lock.

The f2 has a different front standard that wraps solidly all the way around the rail, a fine focus on the front standard and separate locks for the swing/shift.

I have worked with all models, and like the f2 best, primarily for the separate swing/shift locks. The f1 and f2 do not fold up as compactly as a f or f+, though. With those cameras, it was possible to disconnect the bellows from the rear standard, fold the rear standard all the way forward, raise the front standard all the way and fold it backwards and wind up with a fairly compact package.

All f cameras use the same accessories, that is to say, most everything Sinar ever made for Norma, P, P2, etc.

By the way, you can still fold the f2. You remove the bellows from the front standard.

Move the standards to the extreme ends of the rail. Lower the rear standard with bellows,

then fold forward. Then raise the front standard as high as it will go and fold it over the

back one. Tighten everything up.

Sinars are like Mercedes sedans...large, smooth operating, and heavy as a tank...and I love

mine!