Moose Peterson Review of D2X

jeffrey moore

One thing to keep in mind that is whoever has a full-blown review avaiable on February 24 or 25 means he/she had received a (or more) D2X from Nikon days or perhaps weeks before the general release on or around Feb 25. Those who actually buy an early D2X from camera stores may at best have a few quick image samples on their web sites. They cannot possibly have the time to test it thoroughly.

So what does it mean when a reviewer has a good enough relationship with Nikon to receive a D2X in advance? I am not sure and it probably varies from case to case. You can draw your own conclusions.

Arnab, the review you should be waiting for is Ken Rockwell's.

DPReview's reviews are very thorough, perhaps with way too much detail. I never manage to read one from end to end. I like their comparisons. However, they focus too much on lab tests. Experiences from real-life shooting by Bjorn R., Moose Peterson, and Thom Hogan are helpful to complement what DPReview lacks.

>Arnab, the review you should be waiting for is Ken Rockwell's.

Are you serious?!!

Anyway -- it's already there... has been there for quite a few months. He really doesn't need to look at/use some gear to be able to write a review on it (and isn't that a well-known fact?).

I do agree with Shun about the hands-on, real life shooting user reports of Peterson, Rorslett (sp?) and Hogan. Those reviews, combined with DPReviews, give a potential buyer a pretty good summation of the product. The DPReviews are no doubt somewhat dry and they definitely lean toward testing more so than in-the-field use, but they are valuable in their own right. Combined with the others mentioned, it's a fairly comprehensive look for a potential buyer.

Arnab, if you mainly use it to shoot still subjects and a slow DSLR doesn't bother you, the Fuji S3 may be a good choice. In fact, it might make sense for your macro work. Hopefully I will never buy another DSLR that is based on the N80 with the Multi-CAM 900 AF module (slow AF), pop-up flash, and a slow farme rate.

Shun, my feelings exactly -- it also has mirror-anti shock. From Fuji film to Fuji CCD sounds like a pretty logical transition, no? I am 31+ and have failing eyesight and the D70 bothers me more and more each passing day -- I hope to check out first how the S3 VF is like.

A bit OT but meant to tell you this for a long time. A request -- Shun would you please, if not inconvenient, post a detailed test of sharpness with and without D100 mirror anti-shock at high magnification (preferably with 200 micro) and slow shutter speed (my most common range is 1/4-1/15)? I'd really love that!

Shun Cheung, I cannot see you recommending others to look forward to a Ken Rockwell's review. Of all Nikon reviews I have read, his is the most unscientific and full of personal opinions which are not based on any scientific or published facts. I only read his reviews when I needed some amusements.

Yup, Moose's site is good for crashing Firefox on my XP system. I'll have to skip his review of the D2X (along with everything else on his new site). Let me guess...Moose likes the D2X a lot.

I'm not sure if Moose's website issues are due to the site's ActiveX controls or other problems. Oh well....

By the way ...

Has anyone seen the D2X advertisment for $3999.00 floating around the top of the

Photo.Net site? To say I would be wary to purchase a D2X from anyone selling one already

at $3999.00 is an understatement. Like many others, I am on the $4999.00 waiting list

and not sure how long it will take to move down that list. $3999.00 today sounds to good

to be true.

The link is http://www.cbr-yritys.com/

I have never heard of them, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has dealt

with them, or anyone who has already ordered a D2X from them.

"Has anyone seen the D2X advertisment for $3999.00 floating around the top of the Photo.Net site? ... The link is http://www.cbr-yritys.com/ I have never heard of them,.."

Tom,

I don't know what exactly you are saying. If photo.net is advertising this site, it is a true shame!

Read this: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BEaj

If you see this being hosted here, report it to the site owners.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANY ONLINE VENDORS regardless of who is hosting them unless you can verify their existence and reliability.

O.K. I saw that site as well, just now. Bob, do something about it.

<p>

<em>

There's nothing I can do. However there is something you can do. Click on "Ads by Google" and you'll get a form which you can use to send feedback to Google about their ads. Fill in your complaint and send it off. I do not run photo.net. I am not in any way involved the selection of control of any advertising run on this website. I do not have any control over what Google serves, I cannot block ads. Google seves ads based on the content of the page. Since this page is about the D2X, they will serve ads about the D2X if they have any. They choose what to serve, photo.net has zero control over that. I believe it may be possible for Brian to send a request to Google to block an advertiser, but I don't know how effective that is and if or how fast Google respond to such reqests. <p>

Please keep this thread on the topic of Moose's review of the D2X. Email to Brian (and feedback to Google) is the ONLY thing you can do about bogus ads. After that it's up to him.<p>

You can also read this: <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/caveat_emptor.html">http://www.photo.net/equipment/caveat_emptor.html</a><p>

Bob</em>